DjangoBooks.com

Rodrigo Shopis Model D'Artagnan Review

2»

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I heartily concur with everything Michael says. My bandmates marvel at how even the D'Artagnan is all the way up and down the range, no holes in the sound at all. And loud without being brassy or harsh at all. And yes, the neck is great, very comfortable, fast, and easy to get around on.

One of the great things about the guitar is that it responds to everything you do. Some guitars wimp out when you hit 'em hard, but not this one. Listen to Charlie's video of Tchavolo playing it for evidence of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZDVD0wUKSM

Fortunately for those of us who are not Tchavolo, it responds powerfully to a lighter touch as well.

Bravo Rodrigo!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Sweet...does anyone know what Tchavolo is playing here?
  • jmaszlejmaszle New
    edited May 2010 Posts: 19
    Here is a new link for the video of Tchavolo...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gOH_2tWuU
  • jmaszlejmaszle New
    Tchavolo is playing Tcharlie's Shopis D'Artagnan oval (Favino) which now resides in Canada I believe.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    jmaszle wrote:
    Tchavolo is playing Tcharlie's Shopis D'Artagnan oval (Favino) which now resides in Canada I believe.
    It does indeed. I own that guitar now, and absolutely love it. I also own a Favino, #369, and the Shopis easily holds its own. The video sold me on the Shopis.

I would have responded earlier, but I thought maybe the question of what Tchavolo was playing was more about the music than the guitar.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    It's all true! All of it. This guitar is still blowing me away. I've even recorded a few blues and folk sessions with it. Sacrilege? Na, it's really just a fantastic guitar that wants to be played... It rules!!! I guess I should stop babbling about my guitar but I just want everyone to know what a badass Rodrigo is!

And Ben, did you get your vintage Favino???
    One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
    -David Mitchell
    noahfuture wrote:
    And Ben, did you get your vintage Favino???
    I did - see previous entry.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    Quick update:
    Guitar continues to sound better, and inspire me to play! Really remarkable instrument.

I was in New York City last week and had the pleasure of both meeting Rodrigo and going out to RetroFret in Brooklyn (who I bought the guitar from.)

RetroFret is the best guitar store in the country as far as I can tell. Not only are the gentleman and ladies there as cool as humanly possible, but the store has the most ridiculous collection of guitars and amps! There were only two selmer style guitars there, and I absolutely LOVED the Di Mauro I played.
    http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=3954&CartID=44090212212003
    SO check it out!

Next I continued my pilgrimage to the west side of the city to visit Rodrigo. He is super cool and after checking out his workspace, we decided to beat the heat and head out for a beer. We stood outside his favorite bar, drinking Brooklyn Lager and discussing guitars, music and life. It is a real pleasure knowing my axe came from such a great person and true artist.

Finally I ended my weak checking out Stephane Wrembel at Fada in Williamsburg. We were trying to hook up for a lesson (thanks Charlie!) but couldn't make it happen, although hearing him and his band play was lesson enough. Something about a small cafe and a glass of coute du rhone made the experience all the more special and authentic... so did the ridiculously hot french waitress but that's for another post.

So thanks New York for inspiring me while perspiring me (it was insanely hot). off to practice!
    One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
    -David Mitchell