DjangoBooks.com

regarding La Pompe

blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 119
hello wonderful website i have some embarassingly basic questions,
did the La Pompe rythm evolve on it's own in europe, or is it a derivitave
of the swing rythm. next, once and for all, does the accent go on the even beats, the odd ones, or are all beats accented evenly. i have listened, and listened, my perceptions seem to change with the day.
and finally, for now, i've seen a lot of people express dissatisfaction with the chords in the robin nolan books, are they really that bad, are they more suited to small group playing than jam circles, what do you all think. i can't begin to describe how much i appreciate all the info on this site.
thank you
shut up and play your guitar

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    blindjimmy wrote:
    hello wonderful website i have some embarassingly basic questions,
    did the La Pompe rythm evolve on it's own in europe, or is it a derivitave
    of the swing rythm. next, once and for all, does the accent go on the even beats, the odd ones, or are all beats accented evenly. i have listened, and listened, my perceptions seem to change with the day.

Those questions are answered in detail here: La Pompe

blindjimmy wrote:
    and finally, for now, i've seen a lot of people express dissatisfaction with the chords in the robin nolan books, are they really that bad, are they more suited to small group playing than jam circles, what do you all think. i can't begin to describe how much i appreciate all the info on this site.

The Nolan changes aren't a bad place to start. For more info on the traditional voicings see: Chords

and

Gypsy Jazz Chord Substitutions

Have fun!

-Michael