DjangoBooks.com

1940's Busato Grand Modele for sale on Archtop.com

GrimfanDjangoGrimfanDjango Thousand Oaks,CaNew 1996 Maurice Dupont MD50, 2014 Moustache Hybrid D-hole
I have no affiliation with Archtop.com but I figured io would put a shout out to the group in case anyone has an extra 13 grand to drop on a rare GJ guitar. ;)

http://archtop.com/ac_40sbusato_gmd.html

The very same guitar is featured in this vid.

http://www.musicenthusiast.tv/community ... -deluxe-14

Grim

Comments

• SteveGSteveG ✭✭
    That guitar was sold by Michael. Pictures are still on this site at :

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... eluxe.html

cheers
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

The guy who made that video at CB Perkins guitars had that Busato for sale a while back. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to know a thing about Busatos as he simply cut and pasted my description of that guitar from my old listing: http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... eluxe.html

I found that rather inconsiderate. You'd think if he's selling a twelve thousand dollar guitar that he'd at least write his own copy for it. He later removed it after I asked him to do so.

The video contains some rather humorous claims such as "what makes a Busato special is that it's top is bent, whereas other Gypsy guitars have flat tops" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Or that "...it's the Grand model because it has the little hole and not that big hole that you see on some other guitars." Of course, Busato made some of the first 14 fret D holes (which have the Grand Modele dimensions) and also made many short scale oval holes, so this makes no sense!

It would have helped if they tuned the guitar before they shot the video....I should also probably send them a complimentary copy of Gypsy picking, they obviously could use it! :lol:

'm
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Michael,

The seller might do better having you sell it again rather than archtop.com. Your videos are a valuable insight into a guitars particular tonal characteristics and are much cheaper than paying shipping both ways on an approval period.

Watching that mediocre performance on an untuned guitar left me with the impression that the guitar is tinny and poor. Good Selmacs (Selmers, Busatos, Favinos and Duponts) sound best when played with proper technique. They can sound downright awful played with other techniques.

If one isn't committed to this style and doesn't want to learn how to pick like a Gypsy, there are makers whose guitars will sound fine with American style jazz picking (Shelly Park and Michael Dunn guitars come to mind).

A Busato with a weak right hand just doesn't cut it. Listening to that "expert" (who clearly doesn't know shit from shinola) in that video reminds me of the old maxim "Caveat Emptor".

Keep up the good work (and don't worry about the imitators ripping off your copy...your work speaks for itself.)

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for the kind words. I have no beef with Joe as he's certainly qualified to sell this guitar and he's a super reputable guy. Obviously his focus is more on archtops, but his listing is informative and appropriate. I think CB Perkins could learn a thing or two from Joe.

'm
  • GrimfanDjangoGrimfanDjango Thousand Oaks,CaNew 1996 Maurice Dupont MD50, 2014 Moustache Hybrid D-hole
    I didn't realize it had already gone through the mill here. Though given the extremely niche market there is for this kind of thing it dosen't surprise me. I was just passing on what I thought was useful info. Sorry if my post was offensive to anyone.

PS. To StringSwinger's note the performance in the video did the instrument a huge disservice.

-Grim
    I didn't realize it had already gone through the mill here. Though given the extremely niche market there is for this kind of thing it dosen't surprise me. I was just passing on what I thought was useful info. Sorry if my post was offensive to anyone.

PS. To StringSwinger's note the performance in the video did the instrument a huge disservice.

-Grim

You didn't do any harm.....it's no problem announcing that it's for sale. But I just had to say something about the whole CB Perkins thing.