DjangoBooks.com

NEW ORLEANS GJ

edited April 2010 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 3,707
Will be in N'Awlins around the end of May.

Any suggestions for jam venues or clubs, GJ ensembles to hear
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Comments

• AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    I don't know about GJ, but you have to check out the Loose Marbles while you are there, and The New Orleans Moonshiners do a great version of Nuages.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Try and get in touch Tony Green. He plays pretty regularly when he is in town and not in Italy!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    If i was going to New Orleans i would not be looking for GJ, i'd be looking for real jazz, real blues, chitlins and women.

The folks to look up... Irma Thomas, The Neville Brothers, Clarence Frogman Henry, "The Original Mick Jagger" Clarence Carter and the inimitable Allan Toussaint.

...All alive and gigging
    (RIP Rosco Gordon)
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    You'd be looking for penicillin, too....just kidding, but I saw Carter in Chicago and he was great.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    When I was in New Orleans a couple years ago, the Spotted Cat on Frenchman Street was the place to go for acoustic jazz. Vavavoom and Jazz Vipers played there daily and weekly. The Cat closed last year for a while and reopened in October under new ownership.

The new owner is on record with “It will again be a home to unamplified, traditional jazz that is lacking in this city, but people crave and demand it. People are very happy that it’s going to be open.”

Here is a link to their current schedule.

http://www.wwoz.org/new+orleans+communi ... music+club

Looks mighty fine. Vavavoom which had a gypsy jazz element to their style sadly broke up about the same time, but Jazz Vipers are on the bill occasionally. They play great acoustic swing jazz, New Orleans style. About six horns, a 12 fret Mac rhythm guitar (no drums) and standup bass, they were HOT! An offshoot of the Jazz Vipers, the Cottonmouth Kings are also on the bill. Can't wait to go back.

CB
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    yeah the spotted cat is cool!!!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Thanks all, I will check out the cat and see if i can hear the Vipers. I still have a big soft spot for stuff with horn sections (usta play sax still hack away but no chops anymore)

Two years ago I was at a Bela Fleck concert. Bela said that they were surprised to find out that they were a Jazz band ... they had just won an award for best Jazz something or other CD.

Back when I knew everything I knew what jazz was ...... now I have a hard time remembering what the question was let alone having any of the answers :lol::lol::lol:

In all honesty I still don't know what "real" jazz is. :oops:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    Those guys remind me of "Loose marbles" they can also be found on the streets of NOLA...google them... they are outstanding.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    The Loose Marbles are playing the Spotted Cat tonight and look like regulars on the schedule.

CB