DjangoBooks.com

Vintage/Exotic Guitars at Django in June

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
edited May 2010 in North America Posts: 1,002
Andrew, Michael and I have been talking about adding a vintage/exotic guitar event to this year's Django in June. Last year, I brought three newly acquired guitars, in spite of the fact that two of them needed considerable work, and it turned out that lots of guys stopped by to try them out. That led to the idea of expanding this into a more organized part of D in J. This is still being sorted out, but Andrew is going to talk with Joscho and all to see if it might be possible to have them jam in one of the big rooms(maybe Thursday evening?) using vintage guitars, and maybe having some of them available on the weekend for people to try out in one of the small rooms.

So the first question is: would this be something you'd be interested in? My thought was not many players get to hear these in person, let alone play a few licks on them, and it can be an ear-opening experience to do so.

The second question is: if you have a vintage GJ guitar, would you be willing to bring it along to participate in whatever we can work out? We'd be open to modern exotic GJ boxes as well if they are rare. The idea is to have uncommon guitars available for players to hear, and if we can work out a safe environment to do it, to play as well.

I'll get things rolling by promising to bring as many of mine as I can stuff into the car. If you have something you'd even consider bringing, please send me a PM and I can expand on security arrangements, etc.

I have asked a couple of people off line about this, and they were happy to bring something, but I really have no idea what sort of pool of guitars we might have available.

Anyway, hope to see you in June, and if you can bring an aging beauty with you, that would be fantastic.

Michael
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Michael,
    Great!! i'd love to see if I can be there for that- As you know I think some of the beauties that you have are amazing - how about I bring my rare bird for any brave (or crazy) soul to try out?? I'm planning on the weekend only- but might try to get up thursday night . . . . special for that one event. I'll bring some aging beauties for wine if I come up.
    Thanks,
    Ben
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Ben--

Your seven string would be really cool to have there!!! Maybe you'd be willing to demonstrate what can be done with the extra string on board. My head explodes just thinking about it!

Have you found a ride up now that I am coming from the West? If you want to come up for the week, I can try to find someone else who could give you a lift.

Michael
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Hey Michael:
    Thanks for taking the lead on this. A little birdie told me we have a 74' Favino coming down from Nova Scotia. I think it usually works on a scallop boat out of Digby, but it's taking the week off.

I'm guessing this is going to be easier to organize during the week (ie., Thursday) than on the weekend when things are completely crazy. Anyone who wants to talk guitars should check in with you. Anyone who wants to talk about coming up a day early for the weekend should check in with me.

This is going to be a real treat. Thanks!

~Andrew
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Since Django in June is getting close, I wanted to bump this up. So far, it looks like we will have a Selmer, two Busatos, a di Mauro, three Jacques Favinos, two J.P Favinos, at least two Vielle Reserves, a Dupont Jorgenson model (with resonator), and a seven string Dell Arte. There are a couple of other possibilities, depending on room in my car and/or a couple of other attendees.

We hope to have each guitar demonstrated by the owner or one of the instuctors, and hopefully a jam or two where all of the guitars get to play at the same time.

Anyone who attends will be able to test drive any of the guitars that he/she wants.

If anyone else has a vintage rare, or exotic guitar and would like to participate, please send me a PM as soon as possible.