DjangoBooks.com

"Johnny" by Francois Larmarque?

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited October 2005 in Repertoire Posts: 386
I love this song,recorded by the superb Dubanton and Laudat on their gorgeous last cd(some of the best and most subtle rhythm playing you'll ever hear)Anyone know who made it famous originally??
Its attributed to the great chanson composer Francis Larmarque who also wrote one of my all time faves "A Paris" sung by Yves Montand (with fantastic djangoesque gtr from henri Crolla)
Curiously though, the melody of "Johnny" is identical to the Sinti song "Men a devla" recorded in the early 70's by Hans 'che Weiss;which came first??
Wondering whether this is another example of 'popular' composers 'borrowing' from the gypsies ala "Those were the days" and "Feelings"????
Any ideas??
Stu

Comments

• stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    stubla wrote:
    I love this song,recorded by the superb Dubanton and Laudat on their gorgeous last cd(some of the best and most subtle rhythm playing you'll ever hear)Anyone know who made it famous originally??
    Its attributed to the great chanson composer Francis Larmarque who also wrote one of my all time faves "A Paris" sung by Yves Montand (with fantastic djangoesque gtr from henri Crolla)
    Curiously though, the melody of "Johnny" is identical to the Sinti song "Men a devla" recorded in the early 70's by Hans 'che Weiss;which came first??
    Wondering whether this is another example of 'popular' composers 'borrowing' from the gypsies ala "Those were the days" and "Feelings"????
    Any ideas??
    Stu

Just did a little googling and found out that Edith Piaf recorded it and the song melody(not lyrics) is credited to Les Paul and written in 1953
    Makes me wonder where Les got the tune from?....Django perhaps??
    Stu
  • PaganiniPaganini New
    The lirix. There is a nice version of the band Vayacondios, this is a Belgium band that scored with the song Nah Neh Nah some 10 years ago, in this song Coen de Cauter plays the guitarsolo
    check:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

Johnny, tu n'es pas un ange
    Ne crois pas que ca m'derange
    Jour et nuit je pense a toi
    Toi tu te souviens de moi
    Au moment ou ca t'arrange
    Et quand revient le matin
    Tu t'endors sur mon chagrin
    Johnny, tu n'es pas un ange

Johnny, Johnny si tu etais plus galant
    Johnny, Johnny je t'aimerais tout autant