DjangoBooks.com

Playing the melody convincingly

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited August 2010 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 1,857
I've gotta fact the fact that when it comes to stating the melody, I suck.

I don't know if this is a function of my own inadequacies, or the fact the GJ is so heavily arpeggio-based, or a combination of the two.

I've noticed that the great Django himself, on jazz standards like "Honeysuckle Rose" and "Rose Room" sets forth a very minimal amount of actual melody before abandoning ship and playing all his usual pyrotechnics... was this simply because these tunes were so familiar to listeners of that time that he didn't really want/need to set out the melody explicitly? Or because time on a 78-rpm disk was limited to basically 3 minutes and he didn't want to waste a whole chorus on playing the melody? Or perhaps Django just didn't regard playing the melody as all that important?

Anyway, I really like Django's swingy way of playing around the melody, whenever he does deign to play it, and I wonder if anybody knows any tricks or exercises that would be helpful to me in developing that skill?

(I'm looking at you, Bluesbop Harry, and you, Jazzaferri... and of course our fearless leader, the illustrious Dennis...)

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on things like: how important is reading the melody from the page as opposed to just playing it by ear? Or would a combination of these two skills be best?

I hope everyone will be inspired to join in this topic as playing the melody convincingly is a skill we all need--- though hopefully the rest of you don't need it as much as me!

Will Wilson
Niagara-On-The-Lake
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Oopsie!

Sorry, no offense meant to you, Caleb, I should've actually checked to see who the moderator was before just assuming it was Dennis! Hope you'll offer your two cents as well!

Sincere apologies!

Will Wilson
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Try transcribing some of Django's versions of the melody???

He definitely had his own take on the heads, mostly better/more interesting than the original. Nothing wrong with that.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Ha no offense taken man. This is something I still struggle with sometimes. Getting off the page has been a particular problem of mine since I started playing Jazz and Jazz manouche so I know where you are coming from. I am not sure if there is a big secret to it, just play what sounds good and feels right, I often hear players all the time embellish melodies and all but drop whole b sections of tunes to just blow over the changes. If the melody you are playing is strong enough its unlikely folks will notice. Yeah lets hope those other cats chime in as well.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
    Thanks, Caleb.

One thing I'm hoping to hear is from people who play the melody up-and-down the fingerboard versus people who play the melody in one position--- is it my imagination or do I notice a lot of superior GJ players seem to enjoy playing the melody in the neighbourhood of the 12th fret, where the notes are sweet, rich in overtones and real easy to bend?

Will

• hotclubdebramptonhotclubdebrampton Brampton, Ontario - Canada✭✭
    Good Topic! In my case, I like to 'deduce' the melody. Just get the guitar, sing along and then try to match the line. I found that if I can't sing it, I can't play it. My self explanation is that my 'musical' brain does not 'get it', and if so, for sure I would never be able to reproduce it with the fingers.
    After years of doing this, I realize that my playing ear has improved a lot. The rest, playing around the melody should come naturally, I guess. Herb Ellis has a video where he says something similar, he says that is why he did all those funny faces while playing :)

Btw, I noticed your location, next time I go down to Niagara maybe we can jam next to the falls :)
    Great! I sent a private message to you, so check your user mailbox...

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Lango-Django, and the cats,
    I have one suggestion that might help. I've said it hear before: sing the head (not the words, but scat) over a recording of the chords; you will come up with several ways to sing it, and it reinforces the song . . plus once you get one you like, you can record it- then learn it on guitar!
    Cheers,
    B.