DjangoBooks.com

RSI - overcoming the pain...

JazzDawgJazzDawg New
edited August 2010 in Technique Posts: 264
Just wanted to get some opinions from others who may have had this issue...

A couple of months ago, I began feeling numbness in my picking hand, along with some burning sensation pain on the inside of my arm, just below the elbow. I've talk to my physician about it, and one of the things recommended is 'limit my time doing certain activities that are causing this pain'. Ok, that includes playing gypsy jazz with a bent wrist, and avoiding resting my arm slightly on the top of my guitar as I've done for years. I actually had to stop playing for a bit for the pain to go away, but once I started, it came back. So, to avoid further injury, I'm playing with more of a flat-wrist to give my carpal tunnel the max amount of room to keep from hurting so much. Also, have made some changes to my work area, where I use a computer/mouse daily for my work. All helps a bit, but I can't play for more than about 20 minutes before the pain comes back. I can't even play my jazz guitar, an L-5 copy, without having pain - so, I don't use it at all.

Now, I'm 58 and I realize I'm not going to be playing professionally again, but I really do enjoy playing my guitars. So, are there other 'old-timers' who have had this issue and gotten by it with some 'magic'?

The doc says to get an elbow pad used to help with tennis elbow, so I'll get one to try out. Any other suggestions? (be kind - I'm not going to quit playing. I already have lost 95% of my hearing, and that doesn't stop me - thanks to digital hearing aids.) I don't want to cause further injury, so I am already limiting my playing time. Thanks for listening folks. ;-)

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    if gypsy picking is causing you pain and regular alternate picking does not, i would say go with alternate picking. it is not nessecary to gypsy pick to play this music. look at robin nolan, he doesn't gypsy pick and still gets a fantastic tone and is one of the best players out there in my opinion. it's not worth it to damage your health. anyway good luck with whichever route you choose.
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    I started on GJ and getting an entry level petite bouche after ~30 years of playing.

I guess the neck dimensions and scale length screwed around with my fretting arm and wrist. The symptoms were akin to tennis elbow.

I skipped most of the stuff my orthopedist first recommended like shots and such. Instead, I went to a physical therapist who showed me certain muscle stretching techniques and the use deep tissue massage. The main thing was keep the main nerve running down the arm into the wrist straightened out and flexible.

That worked great!

I still stretch out a bit and press on pressure points the way the therapist did and haven't had a problem since. If you have health coverage that covers a therapist, I recommend going that route before drugs or worse, some sort of permanent damage results.

Anyway, hope this might help and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Best,
    HCQ
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    Apply heat, start doing fingerpicking, and get a Stratocaster which is what I do. At 58, I switch instruments long enough to fix the pain.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm taking a month off playing to rest my arm. Cold pack treatments seem to help more that heat. My particular pain is more akin to 'golfer's elbow, pain on the inside of my right arm. I think I caused it by resting my arm too much on the binding of the guitar. Never had the problem show up before though. Probably a combination of no warm ups, too much practice time without proper rest, and the like. Seems like a more classical guitar position will work better for me, as well as a smaller body guitar. Ah, well, you can teach old dogs new tricks. ;-)
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    the better your gypsy picking technique, the more releaxed you are, the better you posture whist playing, the better your chances of recovery. If you play alternate and try to get that gypsy sound you are more likely to strain. Take some more time off from playing, try not to get depressed about it, then slowly and methodicly get back in to it. Keep fit on the side and perhaps see a physiotherepist to advise you on any exercises that might help including stretching extercises you can do before and after playing. Keep on limiting the about of time you do play. I would also suggest that you continue the rest your arm on the top of the guitar and let gravity help you play from the wrist. Key work: RELAX
  • I went to a chiropracter and massage therapist and while I have to keep my rhythm playing down to a shorter lengths of time still I can play for a few hours with no pain now. Back in lat Feb hurt almost right away
    +1 on the posture and relaxation. Stretching before during breaks and after is necessary as well.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    For me its all about a light touch on the strumming hand -(I don't gypsy pick so can't advise on that) If you have a tight right arm there is no way to get the transition to playing lead that smoothly anyway-a bit like whitewashing a huge wall then trying to paint a minature. I find a mirror really helps in so much as you can see the amount of effort you are putting in and back off a bit. I use the reflection of my bookcase!
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell