DjangoBooks.com

D-hole + maple

sarkadysarkady New
edited August 2010 in FAQ Posts: 8
Hi !

I am interested in anyone´s personal experience /considarations regarding a D-hole maple (back-side and neck) GJ guitar ( Gallato ) ? How do You feel ,what is the point in using that kind of wood instead of the "more traditional " rosewood ??
What about the quality and characteristics of sound? May I have Your comparison with the more frequently found rosewood backed and sided ones ?

Thanks a lot! Thomas

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Some (not all) rosewood D holes can sound somewhat muddy at the low end, and the maple adds more "bite" to the sound. I've owned a couple of maple D holes (Dell'Arte and Dupont) and my impression was that the low end seemed more focused and clear than most other D holes that I have played, with a nice overall snap to the sound. Maple is also very commonly used in acoustic archtops.

BTW, I had a Gallato last year (RS 1939 oval hole, rosewood), and it was a nice guitar for the price.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • sarkadysarkady New
    Hi klaatu !

Thanks for Your comments! It is good to hear that this type of wood here means something "pro" ...
    Maybe this partcular D-hole one is going to be my first GJ guitar and there are many things that should be taken into consideration before buying. I still have some doubt which model to choose: Ovale or a D-hole one..? ( a bit biased towards a D-hole one...)
    Don´t You have some practical advices on this issue ? ( I am not a solo player in a band neither a professional guitarist and willing to use my instrument for "general guitar playing " as well and not only -but mainly- for GJ tunes ...?!
    I ´d really appreciate any useful comment ! Thanks in advance ! Regards, Thomas :D
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Thomas, it's really a matter of personal preference. Conventional wisdom has it that the D hole is better for rhythm and oval better for lead. However, you'll see world class rhythm players with ovals and soloists with D holes. Some of them even switch back and forth.

Here's one topic on the subject:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3944

As you can see from this, it's not straightforward. Michael Horowitz points out that scale length may be a bigger factor in sound and projection than the hole shape.

One thing that most players notice is that you as a player tend to hear a D hole somewhat better because the sound of an oval hole is so directional. People coming from a flattop background sometimes like the D hole better; with its (usually) somewhat more pronounced low end and more open sound, it may seem less foreign to them.

Originally, the D hole matched the opening of the internal soundbox in the early Maccaferri-designed Selmers. When Selmer abandoned the soundbox, their craftsmen experimented with alternate soundhole designs and eventually settled on the oval hole. Since soundboxes are very rare in modern guitars, the D hole is no longer a necessary feature, but some people like the way they sound and a lot of others simply like the way they look.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • sarkadysarkady New
    Hi klaatu!

Thanks for letting me know these facts! They truly help me a lot with my final choice..!

Have a nice day as well! Regards, Thomas :wink:
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    At Samois this year, there were only two guitars that made me stop and ask the owner about, both were D hole maple, if I was to upgrade I think that would be the way i'd go.

Good luck in your choice...
  • sarkadysarkady New
    Hi redblues !

Having read Your and some other´s comments I´ve made my final choice /D-hole maple :D :-) / !

Thanks for Your attention !

With my best regards, Thomas
    Be sure to let us know how it works our for you!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles