DjangoBooks.com

Question for former rock guitarists

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited August 2010 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 1,857
I wonder if GJ players can learn any worthwhile tricks or licks from rock virtuoso like Hendrix or Clapton, etc?

I don't know much about that kind of music but at Django in June a couple of years ago, I heard Stephane Wrembel playing some cool whole-tonish stuff as he got warmed up to give a seminar to about twenty of us.

When I commented about it after the seminar, my guitar buddy looked at me as if I were nuts. "That was just Foxy Lady by Jimi Hendrix... didn't you recognize it?"

Um, no...

I imagine that there are a lot of online tabs for Clapton and Hendrix stuff, so I wonder if any of you GJ'ers who come from the world of rock guitar think it would be worthwhile checking any of that out?
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    During a lesson with Stephane he mentioned Hendrix as a source of inspiration, not specific licks as such but more of the attitude when approaching an extended jam like Voodoo Child. Django quoted classics from his day; so why not quote a few select riffs from Hendrix, Clapton, etc.