DjangoBooks.com

Get Started

sarkadysarkady New
edited September 2010 in FAQ Posts: 8
Hi !
I am not an educated or a professional musician but have quite a few years behind me with guitar and 5-string banjo playing (mostly blues and country) and also a good 15-20 years with listening to all kinds of jazz and classical music .
After a "few years of silence" I ve set up my mind to get closer to the amazing world of gipsy jazz a bit more actively and recently purchased a GJ guitar . I play and learn alone and now struggling with difficulties of finding the RIGHT teaching material ( printed/downloadable/CD-DVD formats or useful links etc.) that deals gradually ,comprehensively,practically ,effectively and first of all CLEARLY with this issue...
There is a plethora of informations around me on the web -houndreds of chord charts-various grips ,voicings etc. and -to be quite frank -I ve got a bit "lost" in the jungle of musical informations"...

I really want to build up my GJ playing meticulously and stepwise as I´ve realized the importance of "well oriented "and comprehensive learning -practicing in my earlier years while actively playing .
Is there anyone who could give me a "helping -hand" and a few tips,links,comments based on own personal experiences in order to get properly started ??!

Thanks in advance! Best regards, Thomas :)

Comments

• WColsherWColsher PhiladelphiaNew
    You've come to the right place!
    Head on over to the Books section of this site and get yourself copies of Michael's Gypsy Rhythm and Gypsy Picking. (Visit the corresponding forum topics to get an idea of what's covered in these.) Add in Denis Chang's Art of Accompaniment and Technique & Improvisation Volume 1 DVDs and you'll be set for a quite a while.
    For actual songs, the Colin Cosimini and Robin Nolan book/CD packages are excellent as is the expensive but comprehensive Robin Nolan Gig Book.
    You'll want to grab some "in person" lessons too - the technique is a little weird at first and having an instructor will save you from a getting into unproductive habits.
    There's TONS of information in this forum - hit the Gypsy Jazz 101 topic ( viewforum.php?f=16 ) and you'll have more than enough to material to keep you busy until those books and DVDs arrive!
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Welcome to this forum. I've gotten a lot of help here on the forums. Lots of good info, so search here for help, first.

Now, what I've found so very useful...

1. Gypsy Picking - Michael's book is a great intro to the genre, and if you're worried about the cost, try his lessons available online.
    2. Getting Into Gypsy Jazz - Stephane Wremble - probably the single most useful book in my music library. I came from a background of rock, acoustic, and blues playing - mostly improvising using scales, and in particular the pentatonic. I copped licks along the way, but really never got comfortable with my playing level. Always knew there was more I needed to get under my fingers, and in my head. What Stephane's book gave me was a way of visualizing the fretboard that made it click for me. The books is generally pretty inexpensive (found mine on ebay for $10 US), and so chock full of material that is useful. He has lots of examples of arpeggios, and patterns you can get a great start on you knowledge of this style - or use in any style.
    3. Chang's videos are nice too. Though, a bit expensive to begin, they are full of useful ideas too. If you can't afford them right away, I'd take a look at YouTube, as you can find a lot of examples taken from his vids there. Gives you good insight into what he covers. Some don't like his 'learn by listening' approach, but as much as I like seeing music/tab, you will have to learn to listen eventually to get better. Playing what you hear is the single most beneficial thing you can do to enhance your playing.

So, just to sum, try a Gypsy Picking lesson from Michael online, get the Stephane Wremble book/CD, cop some vids from Chang, and spend a lot of time listening to players of this music. I recommend in addition to Django - Tchavolo, Fapy, Bireli, and Bero Landauer.

Remember, there's plenty of this music available and YouTube is an excellent resource if you can't afford or find some of the folks I've recommended. That should get you on the road. PM me if you need more.

Cheers
  • sarkadysarkady New
    Thanks for Your attention for the useful tips ...I´ll keep on practicing and googling DjangoBooks !
    Have a great day! Cheers ! T. :wink: