DjangoBooks.com

Gitane dg 255 vs. Dell'arte hommage

Hi my name is David and I am 13 years old and am looking to buy my first gypsy guitar. I have decided to get the Gitane dg 255, or the Dell'arte hommage, unless I find a more high quality used/cheaper guitar on ebay. Do you think that the favino-style hommage is to big? Please reply with what guitar you think has better quality and sound.
Relax, I'm only 14

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    edited October 2010 Posts: 763
    I would start with a Selmer replica and the 255 would make great as your first GJ guitar... or you could spare some money and get a Cigano which is a little less gorgeous than the 255 but has more sound projection. Also consider the Gitane 250M (I'm pretty partial to these): it has a very slim neck who could help you with the thumb positions.
  • djangoprodigydjangoprodigy Charlotte, NCNew
    My friend of Hot Club of NC fame gave me advice to get the dell'arte hommage, even though they are big and would be rather difficult to play because the price is cheaper, ( http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-ARTE-DG-H2-HOM ... 1161wt_932 ) it is louder, and favino size sounds better for an asian made, I have heard . I am not really sure what to do with my year worth of savings! but anyways thank you for the advice.
    Relax, I'm only 14
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    David--

The bigger body and longer scale length of the Dell Arte might be a disadvantage at your age. I agree with Frater on this one. The Selmer sound is the basis for GJ guitar constructors, and I think it is a good place to start. You will find the 255, 250M, and Cigano easier guitars to play physically, which will make it easier for you to concentrate on your right hand technique instead of fighting the left hand. And Frater is spot on about the 250M. It has an easy neck to play and the ones I have heard, while a bit harsh, are really loud for the money. They are also harder to find. There are so many used Gitanes out there now that with a little effort, you should be able to find one really cheap. Remember, the sound of the instrument is less important at the beginning than the playability. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in my experience, Gitane guitars have been easier to play that Dell Arte guitars, and frankly, I think they sound better, too.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Michael
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Okay, thanks. I think now I am Selmer-sized Gitane or bust!
    Relax, I'm only 14
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    You should also be aware that the Hommage in the eBay listing is the Asian-built version, not the US one. Dell'Arte has this unfortunate habit of sometimes using the same names for both lines, which is very confusing.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Anybody no what to think about this guitar?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GYPSY-GUITAR-JAZZ-A ... _500wt_949
    Relax, I'm only 14
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    don´t know them myself, but this could be useful: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6828&start=0

BTW, 13 years old, what an wonderful age to be in the GJ scene.
    good luck with your new guitar!

Miguel.