DjangoBooks.com

Twelfth Year Video

BonesBones Moderator
edited November 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 3,320
Help! I ran across a really nice vid of someone doing Twelfth Year and now I can't find it again. I don't remember if it was on this site or Youtube.

Does anyone remember a post like that?

Thanks

Comments

• ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Do you remember if it was a specific Gypsy jazz video or not? I've found one of someone playing Django's solo on the song, but it looks like he's playing it on an Ibanez electric. Sound familiar at all?
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I doubt you are referring to this one but the performance here is magical. Django's fingers seem to float effortlessly over the strings:-

There are a couple of vidoes of Fapy Lafertin playing this tune but he does not come close to Django's performance either technically or creatively but he does play it very nicely.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    That's it, Thanks!
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Teddy...that's a phenomenal version...absolutely bloody brilliant! thanks much, cheers, Phil
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Fapy is about the only person on the planet who plays with Djangos feeling, sense of swing, beautiful melodic lines and pure improvisation. I can't imagine that he is really less technically skilled than Django himself, as even guys like Paulus Schafer (who may be a very nice guy, but to me is an example of someone who doesn't have the ideas Fapy has in the classic style) has an incredibly high level of technique and would be suprised to see a video or hear a clip of anyone who can really improvise their own lines and still have that sound. I was lucky enough to see the video from the recording of Fapys Hungaria album and there were 2 takes of the twelfth year, as well as multiple takes of every other tune on the album and every one was a very different interpretation, fresh and really unrehearsed. I can only suggest listening to the Swing Guitars and Hugaria albums and wonder who else could really come close without repeating Djangos solos note for note and retain the style. Check out this Melancholy baby video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Cs8bVUsUg
    or if it doesnt work just search melancholy.mov. Feigly is a really strong a great player, but Fapy is the master, listen to how he ends his phrases and extends into the following bars, or how he plays over a simple turn around while developing a really clear line and playing with such a great tone. The best.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1wntf ... alli_music

my fav version.. This is an abridged version but the longer one had a camera on the presenters in the studio at the end of the tune and they all had their mouths open in amazement. Although jazz manouche is of course bigger than ever in France, when you have a performance like that even someone who has never heard this music gets a warm feeling inside. Its the most passionate form that I know of- Rodolph is easily one of my favourite players and doesn't get enough coverage in my opinion..
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Rimm,

Awesome!

Here's one of Bireli doing Hungaria on french tv. Duet with Hono.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 231574197#
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    There's also a great version of this tune on the DVD Angelo Debarre with Tim Kliphuis Live at Djangofest Northwest!
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I was lucky enough to see the video from the recording of Fapys Hungaria album

Hey nicksansone, how'd you manage that? Is the video available somewhere?