DjangoBooks.com

Tube Amps (For Those about to rock!)

Forgive me if this has been addressed.

I'm running my Peche A La Mouche pickup through an old Tweed Fender Tremolux. The sound is DOPE. Really a gorgeous tone, but that is kind of the problem. It's almost too pretty (although an overdrive pedal does the trick.) I'm really looking for that '47 Django electric tone. I guess the easy answer is a Repro Stimer amp, or the Peche amp sounds amazing on these Stotchelo videos:

Buuuut I'm wondering who else out there is into Vintage tube amps and what you are using. I saw a post by Mr Holo where he mentioned old Gibson amps... which ones? Anyone try an old fender champ? They are only 5 watts so I'd love to find one...

n
One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
-David Mitchell

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I'm running my Stimer through one of these Bugera V5s...

It cost £130 but I replaced the white knobs with black ones and upgraded the speaker to a Jensen Alnico - which was actually unecessary - and changed the preamp valve/tube to a Tung Sol 12AX7
    In total the upgrade cost around £30 - which brings the total spent up to something like the Fender 5 watt. However the Bugera V5 has a gain, tone, master and reverb. What does it sound like ?
    Well I found that that depends on the Stimer and what strings I use - it's the typical G string problem, low output - but change the G string for an electric string or just use light jazz strings and the problem all but disappears. In terms of sounds produced it can go from smooth and clean to quite grungy with a lot of break up in the sound. The reverb is ok - it's digital rather than spring - and needs to be used sparingly. One very minor gripe - and it is minor given the cost of it all - is that there is a tiny bit of valve/rattle - my next task is to install some sort of valve/tube retainer. When I did the valve upgrade I have to say I was very very impressed at the internal build quality.

One last bonus is that this amp also works well with a Les Paul style guitar and a drive pedal to produce some nice blues sounds.

It is not an amp for metal - so ignore some of the reviews of the V5 on Youtube which claim it is shit - it's not and I have to say for the money - a 1/10th of a Dupont - it's a bargain. It also features a power setting so you can have it at 5watts ( and believe me it's LOUD 5 watts ) or 1 watt or 0.1 watt.

Maybe I can't play like Django but at least I can sound a bit like him - especially when he was tuning up

Cheers Alan
    always learning