DjangoBooks.com

GJ guitars used in "other" music?

13»

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Mario Maccaferri designed these guitars for classical players and apparently disliked Django's music and Jazz in general. There's a story about how when Django was in New York, he wanted to meet Maccaferri but he wasn't bothered meeting Django, when he was told that Django was leaving to return to France in a few days Maccaferri shrugged "Well that's too bad for him." It makes you wonder what Maccaferri would have thought of the "Django/Gypsy Guitars" association with his instruments nowadays.

If these guitars were designed for something else entirely. I don't see why you couldn't play fingerstyle or any other style on them. I think Adrien's videos on Youtube sound great. That being said, to my ears this type of guitar just sounds so good played with a pick and with reststroke picking, you could easily be mistaken for believing that they were designed specifically for that purpose.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    So Maccaferri was strictly a classical guy? Did he design the first Modele Jazz, or had he bowed out by then? Funny, years ago I would occasionally here a SelMac guitar on a record would marvel at the tone, not really knowing what I was hearing. Assumed it was some kind of resonator guitar like a Del Vechio. Used to wonder why my Martin D-18 didn't have that clarity.
    Swang on,