DjangoBooks.com

Soft Tremolo

Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
edited February 2011 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 542
In some slow songs, playing tremolos over some specific parts, like often the B section, bring a very nice athmosphere to the song.
I am talking about soft tremolos, not like the heavier ones that you could play for example at the beginning of Dark Eyes.
But I am realizing that, even if I want to play them really soft, the amount of sound and volume generated is actually a lot more, and somehow kills the idea of a smooth and soft effect.

I have tried to vary the amount of pressure, various picks and how much angle I use... but I haven't found the perfect solution yet.

Does anyone has technical tips on how to achieve this ?
- JG

Comments

• seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    Have you tried moving your pick closer to the bridge? When I do the tremolo on Dark Eyes, I'm able to get a speedy but soft tremolo when the pick is almost right up against the bridge. It definitely changes the tone, but it might work for you.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I angle the pick inward so I'm using the side of it which gives you a smooth sound and makes it real easy to slide over the strings. Very swooshy....
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Thanks for your advice. I'll experiment ! :wink:
    - JG
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Can you post a sound clip of the harder tremolo from Dark Eyes and an example of the softer one for a ballad?

thanks
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I am sorry I can't.
    But basically, I am simply interested about volume control when you use tremolos.
    - JG
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I've found that playing soft even tremolos is a very advanced technique. The problem with the swoosh it that there's a lot of noise especially if you play amplified, they sound cool but I hear Django often playing a somewhat "clearer" tremolo. Sometimes he starts hard and loud and then fades to a quieter sound.
    I've seen very few people do that most play loud tremolos and a lot of times it's unmeasured.
    I guess practice with a metronome and try to relax to the maximum with the least amount of pick surface could be the way. I admit I haven't mastered this technique though.
  • EVERY tiem I listen to Mystery Pacific I am amazed by Django's technique ... i can tremelo pick that speed on one string but all 6 ..... I can't even get it even and consistent at half of what he plays :shock: :lol::lol: mayb e next lifetime
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • If i got one thing from growing up on Technical Deathmetal it's being able to tremolo over chords all day ha. Though it is admittedly harder on acoustic than on a low action electric and while muting :lol:
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    depending on the gig, i often tuck the pick into my hand and use my thumb or similar to a rasgueado flamenco technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYoyqTtPVPI
  • mobreaumobreau U.K✭✭✭
    one of my favourite examples would have to be in Django's version of "in the still of the night" it used to such perfect effect. I think it's the last head second A of the top of my head, but i could be wrong!