DjangoBooks.com

Django's "Hungaria" for Christmas

2»

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Yeh, you'll see quite a bit of that in this tab, sliding up and down a string with one finger, usually to create a triplet, you can triplet up from one chord tone to the next, or you could even use two triplets to go up two chord tones though Django doesn't do that in this arrangement.

It's actually pretty easy to do, too, and of course it's a technique that will really remind people of Django...so in 2011, I'm going to start using it in all my solos!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey L-Dj,

I think I've seen a videos where they start it out on the third string 7th fret but I'm not sure how most people play it and of course everyone is different.

If you start it on the 7th fret it might look like this.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, Bones. I did try it at the 7th fret, and in fact I liked the 7th fret area better when I was trying to cop Romane's first chorus of "Hungaria", but with Django it just sounded to my ears as if he was playing up around the 12-15th fret area--- the strings seemed to have that kind of extra richness of overtones they get up in that area of the fretboard, and his vibrato seemed to have a deliberately more 'exaggerated' sound, almost as if the strings were kind of rubbery instead of metallic?

But thanks for sending your version, I do appreciate it and I'm going to give it a try.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Hey Bones, I hope you don't mind, but I went ahead and tabbed out your version of this tune in Powertab. I thought it might make it a bit easier to read, and so people could print off clean copies of it.

Thanks for the transcription by the way...I've always wanted one of Hungaria, but never got around to doing it myself 8) .

Shawn

Here is the Powertab file:
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2010 Posts: 3,319
    Hey Shawn,

No worries, thanks! I wish I knew how to use the software but I'm a bit lame on computers. If you are looking for other tunes I've done a few here and there so I'm happy to send them if I have what you're looking for.

Here's a couple more of the 'head in' for hungaria (one more from Django and one from Bireli). I've worked thru a bit of Bireli's solo but it's unfinished and unchecked).

Usual disclaimer, no guarantees on accuracy.

Edit- oops, can't find my soft copy of the Bireli version. I'll have my kid scan it in for me tomorrow.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Another Django version
  • jackspoonjackspoon
    Dear All,

Just a quick one to say thanks so much for putting this fantastic work together. I've found it a few days ago and can nearly play it! Did you know that if you type 'hungaria django' into google, this thread ranks first? Lango, your scholarly efforts are much appreciated. Breaking things down into manageable chunks has allowed me quite quickly to get much closer to the original articulation and phrasing which is something I've always struggled with.

Please keep up the good work!