DjangoBooks.com

Grilles...origin?

StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 349
May be a dumb question, but I'm new around here. Where did Grilles come from? And what is the translation of the word "Grille"? French, I assume. I find them incredibly helpful, especially for djams and a quick way to get a handle on the song. Way better (at least for a hillbilly like me) than the usual complicated arrangements found in most books, with unnecessarily advanced chords all over the place (you can always throw in your own substitutions). I keep them in a folder for quick reference. Such great no BS arrangements of classic standards. Luv 'em. Thanks to emicad and all the others that share their Grilles.
Swang on,

Comments

• ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    I've always just assumed it was the french word for "chart", but never thought further about it. I still just call them "charts" because I'm not french, and don't speak french.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    For what it's worth:

grille
    nf
    (=portail) gate (made of metal)
    Le facteur a sonné à la grille du jardin. The postman rang at the garden gate.
    (=clôture) railings pl
    L'usine est entourée d'une haute grille. The factory is surrounded by a high railings.
    [+égout] grating
    (fig)
    [+mots croisés, loto] grid
    grille horaire schedule
    grille de programmes i]+chaîne de télévision[/i schedule
    la chaîne a dévoilé hier sa grille de programmes pour la rentrée
    la chaîne a réformé sa grille de programmes pour se recentrer sur d'autres genres que la fiction d'expression française
    grille de lecture keys for understanding
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    If you like grilles I think you'll really enjoy Robin Nolan's "The gig book". Over 70 jam-approved songs neatly packed in a nice little book
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    If, on the other hand, you like fake sheets:
    http://www.gypsyguitar.de/downloads/gg-downloads/fakebook_django_2008.pdf

It's free and has lots of tunes. A few of the keys are unconventional, but it's a great resource.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Matt Michell should be granted for that book as he's the one who initiated the project, if not did most or all himself.

Grille is a simple word more related to grid that anything else... we use the same word for crossword puzzle to design the frame of the puzzle itself. In the case of a chord progression chart, I guess you could also say "matrix".
    - JG
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, yeah Grids make sense. They're laid out in a grid formation, which works for me. Thanks also Klaatu for the link to the fakebook (some good stuff there). Nice if there was tab too, my reading skills are somewhat lacking. Emicad seems to have stopped posting on his site quite a while ago. Gonzalo's got some good grilles on his playalong YouTube postings. Funny how some of the chords are different for the same songs, or in different keys. Guess that makes keeps it interesting. All this stuff is a help. Nice to wade thru and pick out the stuff you like.
    Swang on,