DjangoBooks.com

Dinah rhythm

slimbo77slimbo77 New
edited December 2010 in Technique Posts: 9
Can anyone explain to me what's going on with the rhythm on Dinah when grapelli's violin comes in? It sounds like maybe the two rhythm guitars are playing a similar rhythm, but a beat out from each other. Totally lifts the song at that point, but I can't quite figure out what's going on... Thought some of you djnowledgable chaps might be able to explain:)

Many thanks
Slimbo

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Which version? Can you post a clip?

Thanks
  • slimbo77slimbo77 New
    Hi,

Here's a small clip. Starts about ten seconds in from this, where Grapelli begins. You'll hear the difference in the rhythm, pressumably where Django joins in on Rhythm.

Thanks
    Slimbo
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    edited December 2010 Posts: 795
    I think Django is playing what is called a shuffle rhythm. It works well over a pompe swing rhythm and just as you say, it can really spark up the rhythm. It is a temporary effect and usually used for short periods only or the effect is lost. Django backs off after the first couple measures and then plays it less dramatically to the bridge where he gives it up all together.

I can't explain well in words how it works, but it basically a double time and while the pompe is doing Boom -chick-Boom-chick over a measure, all down strokes, the shuffle is going whack-a whack-a whack-a whack-a over the same measure, D-U-D-U-D-U-D-U. You'll have to listen to examples to get the nuances, but that's the idea.

CB
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I believe that's what Michael Horowitz refers to as the "Shuffle" effect. Basically upstroke-Downstroke with accent on the down (on the beat) and repeat.
    A clear explanation of this and other rhythm effects with audio clips here: http://www.djangobooks.com/pay-lessons/ ... echniques/
    $5 and worth it. It can also be found on the Gypsy Rhythm book.
    PS Craig beat me to it!!
  • slimbo77slimbo77 New
    Thanks, folks.

I get it now.

Cheers
    Slimbo