DjangoBooks.com

?Your Favorite non-Selmac Guitar for GJ style?

2»

Comments

• CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    It's interesting...I'm finding that the qualities I admire in a guitar when I'm playing by myself are often less useful when playing in my group. I love a full, rich sounding guitar with bass that you can feel in your chest when you play it. But when I'm playing with my band, it only muddies the waters. I use an electric in my band (a '50's Epiphone Zephyr w/ a P90 near the neck), and it fits into the mix best when I drop most of the bass and crank up the treble and midrange. It carves out my own sonic territory, out of the way of the other guitarist (who uses a Hohner archtop w/ humbuckers) and the bassist.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    hey djadam, I play a Favino sized Aylward 14 fret oval hole.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    nwilkins wrote:
    hey djadam, I play a Favino sized Aylward 14 fret oval hole.

I had a feeling you might be playing a Favino-style guitar. I've played the Shelly Park Modele Montmarte, which is similarly sized and it definitely sounded the most rounded and sweet of any gypsy-style instrument I've played. And in a group situation, it cuts through as well as any gypsy guitar. Gotta get me one, when the funds are there!
    Cuiman wrote:
    I love a full, rich sounding guitar with bass that you can feel in your chest when you play it.

Perfect description... no wonder my dreadnaught tugs at my heartstrings so well - it is literally vibrating them!