DjangoBooks.com

"Django" tune by John Lewis

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited January 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 765
Listening again to "Django" composed by pianist John Lewis; I paused to think how the title piece refers to Django. The tune opens with a beautiful, slow, reflective introduction; almost an "awakening" as in reference to "I awake" (Django); the tune then kicks in to an up tempo improvisation, reference, perhaps, to Django's colourful and boisterous life as a musician and leads to a resolving coda that mirrors the intro, a slow, solemn outro...referring to Django's passing?

This is what occurred to me on listening to Alan Broadbent's piano version this morning. I wonder what John Lewis's thoughts were on writing this song?

Comments

That's a great interpretation. Not sure if Lewis actually had a program designed in mind other than homage for a passing friend, but your thoughts are compelling.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Beautiful tune! Raphael Fays did a lovely version with string orchestra on his Bonjour Gypsy album.

Stu
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    The opening minor flat five stuff sounds like Django music, then the major swing comes in like a New Orleans funeral. Then back again. Beautiful writing. I also think John Lewis gets sneered at by some because he has the same kind of elegance that Django had, which some people hear as "can't play the blues." That kind of narrow-minded puritanism does nothing and no one any good. Up with John Lewis. Up with Django!

They met you know during Django's New York sojourn with Duke Ellington. Peas in a pod.
  • bokchoybokchoy New
    Up with John Lewis!!!
    I have a terrific album of his entitled "European Encounters".