DjangoBooks.com

silk and steels

blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
hello, i've read many times about django using silk and steel strings.
nobody here seems to have anything to say about them. what are your opinions? thank you
shut up and play your guitar

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Im not sure about that...from what I know he only used Argentines 10´s and they are silver plated copper on a steel core(the wounds anyway)
    I´ve used a mexican brand of similar strings with silk and they wore out quickly and didnt sound as good, maybe a better brand could deliver different results
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    although we don't know for sure what kind of strings Django used, the claim that he used silk and steels is usually made by people who don't really know anything about this style of music and just assumed that is what he used.
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    yes, i've played s/s strings, while it's possible to make some great sounds, they were not as loud, so i figured it must be the selmer, or these writers are misinformed. argentines it is thanks
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    well I wasn't coming down on silk and steels - I just said Django didn;t use them. Stochelo Rosenberg and a few others use them. Of course they don't really do anything for Stochelo - he sounds the same whether he's playing an Eimers of a Favino, with Argies or silk and steels.
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    it always seems to come back to the great players sounding great no matter what theyr'e using,i guess i'm still looking for those magic bullets, i should shut up and practice my guitar, these guys didn't get so good by reading web forums. regardless, i love this website ! thanks