DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara Simplicated

2»

Comments

• jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    I'll add my accolades as well. This is a fantastic collection of music, suitable for
    any chamber hall and small orchestral setting as much as any Gypsy Jazz club.

Given the technical skill of the musicians involved (e.g. Rob Hardt along with Anat Cohen
    from New York are two of the best clarinetists I've had the pleasure to see perform), it
    is noteworthy to hear the restraint deployed in order to let the melody come through.

Since he has settled in LA, I am wondering if it is either his wish, or maybe fate, that Gonzalo
    may be destined to compose and score for film someday..along the lines of his fellow native
    Argentinian, Gustavo Santaolalla.

BTW, Gonzalo trivia for you (no fair if you know the answer directly from the maestro! <g>):
    One of my fav GB compositions is "B-612". Do you know what the title is in reference to?

I am 99% sure I figured it out, coming across it by chance. The hint is that Gonzalo has mentioned
    he got inspired to learn Gypsy Jazz from watching Woody Allen's film "Sweet and Lowdown".
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    The Little Prince?

Another trivia q, who is the person speaking at the beginning of track 2 "Insulto"? No clues
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    There is a radio interview where Gonzalo discusses the reference to "B-612" as a nod to "The Little Prince." The interview is available as a free podcast download from iTunes - search for "Folk & Beyond", the episode is from June 7, 2009.

Same podcast has a good interview with John Jorgenson, also from 2009.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    So, my error, I can adjust that 99% sure to 99% percent wrong ,, my bad. :oops:

There was a movie reference in a Woody Allen film in which the taxi cab license
    reads B-612. Mea culpa, as not only did I forget about The Little Prince, but
    the movie I refer to "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" came out after Porteña Soledad.

In "Insulto", there are two spoken dialogs..in one channel of the stereo is an English news report on
    illegal immigration, in the other channel, a Spanish language report..to the extent I understand Spanish it seems to refer to undocumented workers, so maybe it is simply two views of the same discussion point.

Anyway, back to B-612, what is so cool with the compositional is that the A section and the
    solo sections is played over standard GJ chord types, while the B section deploys straight three-note
    chords, colored with some interesting bass note inversions.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    If i know Woody Allen movies that is no coincidence, all of his movies are peppered with those type of subtle references, sometimes it seems his set pieces are just set-ups for references he is determined to get in there.

I'm reading The Little Prince to my mini-me at the moment, think i'm enjoying it as much as he is. From what I know it's the most widely sold international childrens book ever written, probably rightly so too.

Re B-612 one of the best opening tracks to a GJ album I have heard, particularly for a debut

Re Insulto, was very surprised when i heard that intro, i know what it is and what it's about, and my respect for @gon sky rocketed
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    There was a movie reference in a Woody Allen film in which the taxi cab license
    reads B-612

Ok so i figured the whole reference thing. In the late 60's there was a strong rumor that Paul McCartney was dead particularly due to the Abbey Road album cover (paul no shoes, out of step with the others etc..) In the background of the cover is a Volkswagen Beetle with the license plate 28IF, indicating to conspiracy theorists that Paul was indeed dead due to the fact that he would have been '28' 'IF' he had have lived.

Woody, with a good memory it must be said, put in the B-612 on a license plate not only as a reference to f***ing cool tune by Gonzalo but also as a reference to the above. Just one more reason to love Woody Allen (disregarding his penchant for 13yr old asian girls of course). His movies are full of these types of things.

This useless information was brought to you by redblues
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    ...what a CD this is. Baroque influenes, soaring clarinet, tone to die for and self penned instant classics. Its made me rethink the recording process altogether and want to experiment with our arrangements and get the old writing head on. Best Album of the year, FACTOTUM.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell