DjangoBooks.com

nylon strings in Gypsy Jazz

Comments

• bokchoybokchoy New
    Of course, I forgot to include that diferent string tensions (hard,normal, light) do play a part in having a say so in which string is used.
    If a Grand Bouche is being used then I believe that would call for a hard tension string since it normally has twelve frets.
    A light gauge for the Petite Bouche since it has fourteen.
    But that is getting into a more technical approach to the guitar(and why not?).
    It also depends on each and every guitar itself, as they are all different.
    One must learn how to read into tensions.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    For this adaptation, more tension equates to more downward pressure on the bridge, and consequently more volume.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    ..I'd stick the Argies back on if I was you. :shock:
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Hey rimm, keep in mind the guitar sounds much better when you play fingerstyle...and I can't play fingerstyle to save my life, which is why I use the pick. That, and my camera doesn't pick up bass very well (I'm in need of a better camera :) ), and sounds different depending on camera placement in the room oddly enough. I guess the sound is not for everyone, but I'm pretty pleased with the conversion :mrgreen: .
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Its too hard to mic up a guitar in the house to really get the sound coming through unless you use a zoom or such like. Ironically I think the original Macs were designed to be classical , hence the amount of cracks on old wartime guitars when the (cheapest strings on the market) Argentines were strapped on. So I suppose you are returning the guitar to the way it was supposed to be played..
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Rimm, you are right that the original Maccaferri concept was for a classical guitar. The idea was to eliminate the soundbox being dampened by contact with the body while being played, so in effect, you have a separate soundbox (back and sides) inside the outer body of the guitar. But the steel string version of the Mac was redesigned to stand the higher tension it would have to endure. The nylon (gut, to be exact) string Mac has much different bracing inside (fan bracing being the most obvious, but by no means the only difference, especially in the area under the bridge) and a classical bridge. If someone put Argies on a guitar designed for gut or nylon with a classical bridge, it would pull it right off the top fairly soon, which I've seen it happen to several classicals. Surviving pre-war guitars usually have cracks, but I think more due to age than anything. The original Macs will be 80 years old next year. With thin tops and high string tension, it's a miracle that those few that survive are in as good shape as they are in.

What surprises me about all these conversions we are discussing, is how anyone is getting enough string tension to keep a floating bridge firmly in place. I would never recommend it, but what the heck? If it works for you, why not?
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Hi Michael, that was originally a thought of mine, as I didn't think the string tension would be enough to keep it in place. In fact, I was about to go out and buy a classical glued on bridge when I though "What the hell, I can at least try it with the normal bridge and see how it sounds." To my surprise it holds down the bridge quite well. Of course, the string tension is dramatically decreased, but I haven't had any problems in the few months since converting it over.

I also thought that the guitar might have a better resale value if I don't change things too much, as to simply widen the bridge grooves and string guide grooves allow for easy conversion back to Argies. I have the intention to sell this guitar anyhow, as I've never been partial to D-Hole's, so someone might be looking for a D-Hole Nylon string guitar that could be converted back easily.

Just some thoughts...
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Well, I admire your creativity! 8)

I have the Manouche nylon string still, which is quite good for the money. But Rodrigo Shopis is making a nylon string d-hole, and I am excited to hear what a luthier-built nylon string can do. Alfonso Ponticelli sounds quite good doing GJ on his flamenco guitar! That's what inspired me to get one.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Totally agree with you on Ponticelli, very interesting sound. I have to admit that Thomas Dutronc's recordings on his Nylon string Selmer was my original inspiration for coverting this one. Albeit a tonally and structurally different guitar, I'm pleased with the result nontheless.

Heck, maybe I'll just convert it into a Lute Guitar like this bad boy :lol: ...

Zd110f.JPG
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    They are the same strings as a classical guitar would use.

They probabaly wouldn't work so well on your Cigano. Fan bracing works better on nylon string guitars, and I think the lack of string tension using nylon vs. steel would cause the guitar to seriously underperform.

Alfonso Ponticelli uses a flamenco guitar for his gypsy jazz gigs on occasion, and I saw Ottorino Galli in Chicago playing a 14-fret nylon string gypsy guitar. There's a video clip on YouTube.

what do you mean by ' nylon string guitar' ? are there specific kinds of guitars designed specifically for playing with nylon strings?