DjangoBooks.com

Classical and Middle Eastern influences in Gypsy Jazz

zeddyfreezeddyfree The Netherlands, near UtrechtNew
edited June 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 23
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could direct me to more gypsy jazz songs or artists that let their playing be heavily influenced by Classical music or sounds from the East.

I repeatedly listen to the song Ravel on one of the Selmer #607 CD's, it completly blew me away, wow. Is there more of that stuff around?
You can listen to a small part of it here (it starts at 3:50):

I also here Fapy citing some Bach once and a while, when I'm ready I'm sure gonna try out some of those licks. I don't feel confident stealing from Bach directly (maybe later :-) ) so maybe you can point me to some bach-gypsy licks...

And I also like Eastern influences although I don't hear that much in modern Gypsy Jazz, maybe more in other gypsy music?

Let me know!

Merci

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    Here's a piece that mixes middle-eastern, arabic, french and gypsy styles, by Thierry Robin and Francis Moerman. From Thierry Robin's CD "Un Ciel de Cuivre"; also highly recommended is his CD "Gitanes" if you like this.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Great topic...I also very much enjoy the cross-over and cultural link between Gypsy, Flamenco and Middle Eastern and would love to hear more collaboration between artists in these genres. Scott, thanks for pointing to Thierry Robin, who I'd not heard of. I always enjoy the scene in "Swing" with Tchavolo jamming with the Oud player. The Ferre Brothers "toy" with various genres in their improvisations; Raphael Fays excels equally in jazz manouche and Flamenco/classical genres. Stephane Wrembel's guitar virtuosity also references eastern music, with his guitar often playing Oud-sounding lines. Olivier Kikteff, of Les Doigts de L'Homme, also plays Oud on some of his recordings - which I believe, references his Algerian roots.

~cheers Phil
  • zeddyfreezeddyfree The Netherlands, near UtrechtNew
    Nice, thanks! I'll check out the names you've both have given me.

For oud playing gypsy jazz also see Swing 39

They have a very enjoyable CD out.

I love the Oud. I had one but it is broken... Maybe for the better, since learning the guitar is demanding enough ;-)
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    very nice! Do you have a link to Swing 39 web site and know where I can find their CD? I searched on line, but came up blank?

thanks

Phil

PS. I also have an Oud that appears to be more of a tourist one and is really hard to play. I love the Oud playing of Anouar Brahem
    and
    Taseer Elias
    http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/elias.html
    I bought the mp3s of the swing 39 quartet at atrement.com
    (http://artement.com/free_mp3_album_Swing-39-Quartet_Entre-Deux-Tours_MUSSWINENTR1286432187.html)

I enjoy Anouar Brahem too :) and 'le Trio Joubran'
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    I love Anouar Brahem too! There are many amazing oud players. Driss El Maloumi is a superb Moroccan player.

I have an oud myself and got into playing it for a while. I haven't played it recently because really I need to concentrate on guitar playing. This is about as good as I got on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iRqWMXK ... er&list=UL
    Actually, I got the tip of Swing 39 from you thrip, by following you on youtube ;), you marked one of their songs as favorite or such, some time back....

Very nice playing and a beautiful Oud! Makes me want to buy a new one, or kick my amateur woodworker frind to hurry up with fixing mine... But as you say, hands full with the guitar...

I got a CD to learn the Arab scales from this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/OudProff
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Thanks! I wish I could devote more time to it, but to do it properly would mean a serious commitment. Once I started exploring those Arabic maqam I realised how totally out of my depth I was! Good luck!
  • Harry-DippoHarry-Dippo UK✭✭
    In terms of classical influence, Gonzalo Bergara does a fantastic rendition of Waltz No7 in C#Minor by Chopin, one of my personal favourites :D

In terms of classical influence, Gonzalo Bergara does a fantastic rendition of Waltz No7 in C#Minor by Chopin, one of my personal favourites :D

Wonderful, I really enjoyed this one. Thanks!