DjangoBooks.com

Boris Vian

CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
edited September 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 271
Tam Tam books, a publishing company based in L.A., has started releasing English translations of some of Boris Vian's books. Vian was an author / songwriter / trumpet player / jazz booster who did most of his work in Paris after WWII. I just finished "Autumn in Peking," and it reads like a Mark Leyner adaptation of a David Cronenberg-directed Looney Tunes episode. I just started "I Spit on Your Graves," a pulpy noir tale.

So how does this relate? Well, Vian collaborated with Henri Salvador on several songs. Sanseverino covers his "Java des Bombes Atomiques" on his recent live DVD and CD. And in the new edition of Vian's "Manual of Saint Germain-des-Prés," there is a photo of Django painting, as well as a nice full-page photo of Grapelli and Crolla (with a Stimer-ized Selmac) playing in a cellar club.

Comments

• CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    I just finished a recent English translation of L'Écume des jours by Boris Vian; it was an excellent read. When I went to the publisher's website to see about upcoming Vian translations, I found a photo of Vian playing a harp guitar. And if I'm not mistaken, it's a Maccaferri, as seen on page 157 in Michael Wright's book Guitar Stories.

(Here's the publisher's blog, where I found the photo: http://tamtambooks.blogspot.com/)
  • LarifariLarifari FRANCE, LoiretNew
    You can also find a cd with some Vian's tunes ( sorry my english iznogood) ;

titles on cd :
    je suis snob
    je bois
    les joyeux bouchers
    la complainte du progrès
    le déserteur
    cinématographe
    la java des bombes atomiques
    le petit commerce
    on n'est pas là pour se faire eng..
    bourrée des complexes
    le code de la route

Polygram 830 876 -2 py 899
    La certitude d'arriver n'est que le centième coup de sonnette à un porte qui ne s'ouvrira jamais.