DjangoBooks.com

Best Selmac GIG BAG holy grail - fit/protection/etc

Comments

• jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    When you get it please post a little review. I would like to buy one also and would love to hear how it works with your Dupont.
  • bm7b5bm7b5 New Orleans✭✭ Dupont
    also to Craig Bumgarner,

We will be in DC June 4th and 5th. The 4th is still in the air, the 5th is at the Glen Echo Ballroom. We are a younger trad new orleans swing band touring with swing dancers promoting an annual lindy hop festival in NOLA. I steer it GJ whenever I can, and in most solos - but we are primarily playing bumpy 20's and 30's new orleans music. Had a nice npr spot last week during Jazz Fest -- Meschiya Lake and the Lil' Big Horns. meschiya.com

Enough PR. Case is on the way - review to come. Although I can say they are super quick. Had a shipping confirmation in no time.

r
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    We are a younger trad new orleans swing band touring with swing dancers promoting an annual lindy hop

Go on...... Lindy Hop meets gypsy jazz, that's a combination I would like to see, any audio or preferably video welcome.

redblues
    Well redblues, because you asked:

most of the youtube stuff is from before I was in the band (a year), a lot of busking street videos. But we play every week on Frenchmen St., so there are cell phone cameras going all the time. I'll also tell you that playing with a sousaphone instead of an upright really let's you hear how solid/sloppy your la pompe really is! This upcoming trip will be stripped down however. Upright, guitar, washboard, trumpet, trombone, reed men we pick up on the way, and of course Meschiya!

here's a video of a 2am-4am spot during the last Lindy Showdown. This upcoming tour is promoting the 2011 Showdown. Bigger band, dancers, etc. :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRQHod4rFM

here's an original with a guitar spot :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADsB9cy0iSg

here's one of Meschiya dancing on stage last week at Jazz Fest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwirSU8wJ8I
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    bm7b5,

That is just insanely good music you's are playing there. I live in the wrong damn country I tell ya.
    Any albums recommended? Know where online i'd pick one up?

EDIT: Found it http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mlakebighorns
    Redblues -
    New Orleans is having a resurgence of trad jazz right now, and there are many great bands playing this music weekly. At least 3 with gj guitars! Last week's Treme on HBO showed John Rodli of the New Orleans Cotton Mouth Kings (awesome) playing his gitane 500.

you can get "lucky devil", meschiya's cd, through cd baby or on her web site www.meschiya.com. Or if you'd like to contact her directly through website, she'll send it out personally (and also doesn't have to pay cdbaby).

We leave the states later this summer - western Europe, then hopefully staying a bit in Berlin. Maybe we'll run into you out there?

**** gig bag left CA and is in transit FedEx says. Any day now.

R
    My Mono m80-AC gig bag came in today.
    classical_inner-dimensions.jpg

It is the shorter scale classical/om model bag, but I thought I would try it out first.

Touchdown. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Fits regular selmer dimensions perfectly. When zipping up, there is a little resistance at the lower bought, but just enough to know how snugly the guitar is secured. Here is a photo of how zipped up I get before having to give a little tug:

photo-8.jpg

Unlike my huge Reunion Blues soft case, this IS more of a gig bag. But my guitar feels very safe and the bag fits very nicely on my back (don't have to worry about ducking under doors anymore).

Check out the web site - monocase.com for all the features and innovation. Pockets are great, and there is no bulging - even with gig book and cables. Again, would not fit larger gypsy guitars, but fits 15 3/4" selmer bodies like a glove.

My reunion blues bag felt like I could drop it from 10 feet and not worry. I'd give this case 5 ft. But now I can easily slip through the crowd, or the airport, in a nice compact package. Very happy with my order, would recommend to anyone. Perfect for every application besides being checked at the airport. My RB bag felt like I was wearing a jumbo hard case everywhere - this is much sleeker.

Heres my Gitane JJ model inside:

photo-9.jpg
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review. Thanks!
  • djangoprodigydjangoprodigy Charlotte, NCNew
    Do you think this case should work for the Gitane DG 255?
    Relax, I'm only 14
    If your lower bought isn't longer than 15 3/4 you'll be fine. I'm on tour with mine right now and couldn't be happier.