DjangoBooks.com

Best new bridge for Gitane DG-300 (Jorgenson model)

I bought a used DG-300 from ebay recently, in great condition, but it came with some odd issues. The smaller 4 strings are intonated well, but the A string's intonation is radically sharp and the low E is radically sharp. The high strings have been shimmed up with a piece of ebony under that side of the bridge, but the bass side is still directly on the soundboard, and the low E has horrible buzzing up the neck. I'm thinking I just need a new bridge. What do you think, and if I need a new bridge, what are some quality options available?

Thanks,
A

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I would really recommend contacting Josh Hegg here at the Djangobooks store and have him make you a bridge for the DG300.

As far as the buzzing is concerned, do you have new strings on there? I can always tell when the strings are worn out because my DG300 starts buzzing like a bumblebee. Truss rod may need a little adjustment as well, and/or you may need a fret level. Those are all solve-able problems.

Enjoy your DG300!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    If Josh is swamped with work, for an alternative I can recommend Bill Richardson, the other one, in New Mexico. He is an amazing tech talent and could make a milk carton strung with dental floss sound fantastic, although the top techs are all usually very busy as you can imagine especially this time of year.
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    I know Michael (here on Djangobooks) sells Dupont bridges for something like $60, and Caravan Guitars sells Dell Arte bridges (Rosewood and Ebony) for around $36. Bridges aren't really that hard to fit to the guitar, you'll just want to go slowly and carefully. Just follow Josh Hegg's description on this forum of how to fit the bridge and you should be ok.

Shawn
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Shawn wrote:
    I know Michael (here on Djangobooks) sells Dupont bridges for something like $60, and Caravan Guitars sells Dell Arte bridges (Rosewood and Ebony) for around $36. Bridges aren't really that hard to fit to the guitar, you'll just want to go slowly and carefully. Just follow Josh Hegg's description on this forum of how to fit the bridge and you should be ok.

Shawn
    IMHO, the Dupont bridge is worth the extra money. Or check with Michael and see if Josh Hegg is still making bridges.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    IMHO, the Dupont bridge is worth the extra money

Why? Need a new bridge myself.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    redblues wrote:
    IMHO, the Dupont bridge is worth the extra money

Why? Need a new bridge myself.
    You know how a floating bridge (gypsy, mando, whatever) has a curvature to it? Bass side higher than the treble? Dell'Arte bridges are dead flat. They expect that you will shape them. Also, the Dell'Arte that I saw felt denser than a Dupont. Dense, no good. Light, good.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Good enough for me, thanks Ben, Dupont it is. I have been shimming the bass side higher to balance the intonation.

For anyone reading this you can check your intonation by playing the harmonic of an in-tune string at the twelfth fret, then play the note at the twelfth fret direct. If they are not the same your intonation is out. Normally fixed by moving the bridge slightly, or for a fine-tune adjusting the truss rod slightly.
  • bill raymondbill raymond Red Bluff, CA✭✭✭
    Do not use the truss rod for tuning adjustment!!! It isn't meant for that. The truss rod is only for adjustment of "relief" in the neck. If your guitar doesn't intonate properly you need to adjust the bridge compensation and/or consider nut compensation.
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    You can certainly modify the original Gitane bridge yourself if you have good wood working skills. I carefully studied the Dupont bridge which is a copy of the Selmer bridge. My Gitane bridge is ebony, which is denser than rosewood, which the Dupont bridges are made of.
    I basically doubled the amount of the hollowed out section on the underneath of the bridge and extended it a bit further on the ends of hollowed section. I left a 2 mm thick wall to allow for strength. My Gitane bridge gave me the best playability and intonation whiich I could not get from replacement bridges. In my case I had a machinist rout out the wood with a 60 degree bit.
    You could use a Dremel tool if you have a steady hand.
    The result was excellent - it sounds very much like a Dupont bridge with the benefit of having excellent intonation and correct action.