DjangoBooks.com

Samson Schmitt's guitar on "Alicia" CD?

2»

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    ibradbur wrote:
    I agree with Ben, based on the cover and in comparison to the D hole Shopis I own, it sounds like one of Rodrigos guitars to me. They are special instruments, I also just ordered my second one.
    Hey Ian - what are you getting this time?

And are we going to see you at Django in June?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Been re-listening to Alicia after reading this thread. Mr Cook is so right, the tone is superb, and the smoothness between lead and comping is not something you hear that often. (Bireli's Move album springs to mind)

Just as a point of interest, are all Rodrigo's guitars (off the shelf) built to Favino specs? Does he do an official line in the Selmer style specs?
  • ibradburibradbur Halifax Nova Scotia✭✭✭
    Rodrigo builds based on both selmer and favino patterns. I have a favino d and just ordered a selmer oval. Unfortunately no DIJ this year..
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    ibradbur wrote:
    Rodrigo builds based on both selmer and favino patterns. I have a favino d and just ordered a selmer oval. Unfortunately no DIJ this year..
    And I have a Favino oval and am getting a Selmer D hole.

Rodrigo also builds a unique electric archtop with a Charlie Christian pickup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbQxHe5MAg

... as well as nylon string guitars, both gypsy and classical.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Ha! Question answered to the hilt, thanks Canadian GJ mo-fo's
    redblues wrote:
    Ha! Question answered to the hilt, thanks Canadian GJ mo-fo's
    Sounds like a good name for a band!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I hadn't heard this CD before, but that guitar does sound nice on the clips I just looked up.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com