DjangoBooks.com

LDDLH + Lollo + Tcha DjangoFest SanFrancisco/MillyValley

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited June 2011 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 768
Just returned from my first ever trip to San Francisco and DjangoFest in Mill Valley. I had a family event, plus seeing that Les Doigts de L'homme was on the roster nailed it for me, as I've been a huge fan of theirs for years and have all 5 of their CDs. They did not disappoint and came on Thursday evening and gave a tremendous show...with Olivier and Benoit trading leads, both of them were playing Marin guitars; plus Olivier brought his Oud which he played on one of his original compositions-he began the piece playing solo Oud, showing his versatile musical prowess; nice to hear the Oud being played as it's got such a great voice and fits in well enhancing the eastern tones of jazz manouche. LDDLH live is everything you've heard of them: very tight set, many original compositions, alive with musical passion, flair and good humour. (Sorry to see the theater only 50% full for the show...I know it was a Thursday night, but being close to San Francisco would've thought there'd have been a larger GJ fan base there, that would've turned up?) They played numerous tunes as well from their "1910" CD - you Django in June folk are in for a treat! Look out! :D:D:D:D:D

Lollo Meier + Tcha Limberger~ Great show on Saturday night! I've seen Lollo previously in the UK, but without his close friend and I believe, cousin, Tcha. Tcha was a bit jet lagged, but was ready to play and was full of joie de vivre; making jokes and laughing about the origin of some of the title of the songs that he introduced; he laughed, he sang; he played guitar and violin and also stunned the full Saturday night house, with an impromptu 'trumpet' solo, produced only from his vocal chords and pursed lips~ wonderful! Great to see Tcha pick up the guitar and perform a waltz duet with Lollo. Lollo's playing is even more melodic; and bears a strong resemblance to the style of Fapy Lafertin, beautiful to listen to. He played 2 of his original compositions, one dedicated to his daughter. Lollo was playing a Ger Boonstra guitar...which had a deep, rich tone which he coaxed out with his strong vibrato.

I will post photos and vids later...I was on the front row for both these shows ~ a real treat. Kudos to **** (rhythm guitar) + Andrew (bass) for doing such a fine supporting job for Lollo + Tcha...it was seemless.

Comments

• tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
    Phil,

Would love to see any photos or video from the set. I had no time to think about pictures.....2 sets in a day will do that :) fest was a blast.

Thanks,

T
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Here's photos of Lollo Meier with Tcha Limberger, backed by **** and Andrew Kratzat on Saturday night June 11th

and of Olivier Kikteff with his Oud on Thurs June 9th

cheers Phil
    Here's a short clip of Les Doigts de L'Homme ripping it up on Them There Eyes ~ enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCc-1D6sy_s
    Here's a clip of Lollo Meier & Tcha Limberger playing a duet of Lollo's Waltz: "Valse a Lollo" ~
    enjoy, cheers Phil :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrMxtJn4koA
    Here's a clip of a Lollo original tune written for his daughter: a classic swing tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jEq2hxP7U
  • tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
    Great videos!!!
    Start your week right by checking this out...as of today I see it's only had 11 hits and it's worth viewing...Lollo and Tcha at their best...check it out...cheers Phil

Here's a clip of a Lollo original tune written for his daughter: a classic swing tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jEq2hxP7U
  • MundoMundo Las Vegas, NevadaNew
    Good stuff Phil!!! Thanks!