DjangoBooks.com

Gonzalo Bergara Quintet at Kuumbwa Jazz

Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
edited August 2011 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 83
I went to see Gonzalo and his quintet last night and I must say, they were spot on. Stunning renditions of both his songs (Elena's Bossa, Gonzology, B612) and some timeless classics (hungaria, minor swing etc). Nice strange banter and communique with the audience, he talked about how he got into the style and explained the history of the bandoneon (the squeeze box he plays too).

And I must say, his Marin is looking a little rough, missing moustache bridge piece and some serious pick scarring but the guy can and does play fucking fast, it's seen some good use.

All in all a fantastic show, with a nice bowl of vege chili with tofu pie to top it off and sitting with my dear sweet fiance (they even did a version of L-O-V-E, that the rhythm gent sang).

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    (they even did a version of L is for the way, that the rhythm gent sang).
    It's called "L-O-V-E." Great Nat King Cole classic tune. It would be great to hear it done as a GJ number.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Thanks for the writeup on Gonzalo Bergara Quartet. They just keep gettin' better. They're gonna be in Colorado Springs Aug 11 and we (Mango fan Django) will open for them. Man... they're gonna kick our butts!! I can't wait !! More info here http://www.mangofandjango.com/gonzalo

(GBQ, Robin Nolan, Daniel Lapp, ****, and MfD will be in Crested Butte at Djangofest Colorado, Aug 12-14. This is why, before we head out to Crested Butte, we'll have this rare chance to pick up a gig with GBQ in Colo Spgs. Djangofest info at http://www.djangofest.com/colorado/home.htm)

AE
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    That Kuumbwa Jazz line-up looks pretty good, Martin Taylor playing thursday. Strangely enough Gonzalo was at Samois but not invited to play!!?? In fact the Colarado fest and the Cloughtoberfest put together by rimm have better line-ups than Samois 2011.

Respect to the "smaller" fest organisers.
  • Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    klaatu wrote:
    (they even did a version of L is for the way, that the rhythm gent sang).
    It's called "L-O-V-E." Great Nat King Cole classic tune. It would be great to hear it done as a GJ number.

Oh thank you! I wasn't sure what it was called. It was a great version, me and my fiance want to have it played at our wedding now!