DjangoBooks.com

Wrist Pain - Please Help!

2»

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hey Man,

I had serious wrist problems after my first year of playing my first Selmer style guitar (gitane DG 300). I'm inclined to disagree with anyone who tells you it's because of faulty technique, at least without seeing you play. I'm a technique snob, and the rigors of playing a thicker U shaped neck messed my wrist up for almost an entire year.

One thing that worked well was a strengthening exercise that not many guitarists use - Most guitar players use things they squeeze to make themselves stronger, but neglect the opposing motion.

DO THIS - 1) Wrap a rubber band (the type that is about 1/4 inch wide) around your finger tips (including your thumb) and do an extra loop around your middle finger so the rubber band doesn't fly away.

2) Flex your fingers away from your palm as wide as you can , and then let them come back in. Repeat this for 30 seconds at a rhythmic pulse until you feel a good burn.

Another exercise - Take a can of soup or anything else, hold it in your hand with the back of your hand facing upwards. Then flex your hand at the wrist up and down over and over until you feel the burn in your forearm.
    Do both every day.
    I also saw an acupuncturist, which helped me out as well.

Good luck !

Anthony
  • paynej49paynej49 New
    I agree with those who say to stay away from the guitar for a while.
    It seems to me that for someone on the verge of carpal tunnel what your hand needs is rest...not more exercising.
    Check with a good chiropractor. Get a wrist brace.
    I once bought a small rubber ball at a drugstore that is used for strengthening the hand. But my guitarist friend who had had the carpal tunnel strongly urged me not to use it. He said that the chops will develope plenty enough on their own with practice.
  • Mark DSMark DS New
    If you're tensing your wrist when you're playing, you need to practice more with a relaxed wrist, VERY SLOWLY. If you are tensing your wrist up playing at a certain speed or playing certain things, it means you can't play that yet and need to play it a lot more slowly, slow enough that you can play it relaxed. Don't push yourself too hard. It's better to be able to play for a longer time, slowly, than to play something really fast for five minutes with a tight wrist, hurt yourself, and not be able to play for a week.
  • Harry-DippoHarry-Dippo UK✭✭
    After much practice I have finally eridacated the pain I was getting, hoorah!

I have finally found the culprit;
    Before I had a tight 'hug' around the guitars body, getting my arm fully around, similar to what I see the gypsies (stochelo, Angelo etc) doing. I think because of my height 6'4 and therefore long arms i was having to compensate this by bringing my wrist in and round, hence the tension. By pulling my arm back and resting it a couple of inches from my elbow on the top of the guitar the strain is gone and I feel free again.

As minor and perhaps obvious as this sounds it is making a large difference,

Thanks for all your useful posts,

Harry