DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy jazz schools

AmirAmir New
edited February 2006 in Technique Posts: 9
what's the main difference between the:
Paris Style, German Style and the Dutch Style?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    personally i think nowadays it's best not to think that way.... back then when everyone was more isolated , i suppose the germans had a more agressive way of playing rhythm, the dutch were somewhat more traditional and the parisians were experimenting with modern styles... or something like that... i'm no historian, hopefully maybe ted or michael can shed some light unto this....

all i can say though, is that nowadays, thanks to internet, videos, cds.... everything 's all getting mixed... take yorgui for example who's from alsace, who's heavily influenced from the dutch style.... a lot of the parisian guys today are influenced by some of the guys who made a name for themselves there (moreno, tchavolo, etc...) so don't be surprised if you see parisians playing like alsacians at jam sessions...

perhaps the most isolated is still holland, although it's very slowly changing, they're being more and more influenced by RnB based playing (benson) and also bireli....

it's all becoming one big mix!
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    perhaps the most isolated is still holland...

No, it's the Easthampton Massachusetts school. Nobody plays like us, thank God.