DjangoBooks.com

Clarinet?

2»

Comments

• PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
    Yea, I hope others like it as well. Seems this is the only gypsy jazz clarinet page on the web now. Hopefully others will chime in with woodwind questions or ideas here! I'll check out your website!
    Violin's swing the best!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There is a little bit of info on the SOTW forum in the doubling forum

here http://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdispl ... 7-Clarinet
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Most of my gigs over the years have been on banjo with dixie bands, so I've played with a lot of clarinetists, and heard endless variations of the Boehm/Albert debate.

It's sorta the same thing with banjo players talking tenor vs. plectrum.

From what I've heard, Albert system was the older standard for New Orleans black dixie players, but was gradually eclipsed by the thirties white swing virtuosos (Goodman, Shaw, etc) who were almost exclusively Boehm players. Boehm has become pretty much the standard in traditional jazz, at least in North America, I don't know about Europe.

My advice is to pick the right one for you real early on and don't change, because I've never met anyone who has successfully switched between the two systems. I'd guess your choice would be dictated by finding a good teacher and following whatever system they use.

But if you are really, really a fan of one particular clarinetist, let's say for example, Albert Nicholas, who played Albert system, you'll find that in order to really emulate his style of playing you'll need to go Albert system, too.

I've got a buddy in Buffalo NY who is a shit-hot Albert system player... he actually plays some GJ, too, because he subs for Babik whenever their violinist is unavailable. If you decide to go Albert system, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • JazzmanJazzman Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    Yep. All true and good information. I for one love the sound of the Albert system. For my money, one of the best disks that really captures what this instrument can do is the Ellington/Armstrong collaboration "The Great Summit" recordings from 1961. Not GJ, but pretty darn good :P Barney Bigard (a life-long "Albert" man) plays clarinet on these and I think you can really hear his distinctive sound.
  • I find a great source of genre useful licks is to take the parts of Grappelli's lines that really appeal and transmogrify them to soprano sax.

I think that using Hubert Rostaing as a source of clarinet lines would be very useful as well
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    I started on Boehem system clarinet and later on had a few Albert systems. The Albert is derived from much earlier fingering systems and is more cumbersome. You can get used to anything but the Boehem system is much friendlier for fingering. Actually it should be called the Klose system because he was the one who took Boehem's work and adapted it to the clarinet. Having a horn that doesn't leak and a good mouthpiece that suits your clarinet is really important. After that it's just the same hard work to get the fingerings down and develop a good emboucher along with breath control.

Ken Bloom
    Ken Bloom
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    Two well known, living "Albert system" players i can think of:
    Evan Christopher, and Woody Allen :wink:

I only swapped to clarinet 18 months ago (20+ years on saxophone), but I'd recommend learning the common Boehm system, 95% of teaching material is written for it, good Albert system clarinets and mouthpieces will be hard to find, and I'm sure tunes in GJ keys will be easier to play on Boehm.

[edit] plus: Boehm system fingering is closer to flute and saxophone, if you're coming from there or might go there later.

-A-