DjangoBooks.com

What's the make of Gonzalo's guitar?

2»

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    It's intentional alright. It's part of his bluesy sound and comes with the turf! AE
  • DjangoJimDjangoJim Edgewood, WA✭✭✭ Dupont MD50 Cedar Top
    Referring to the buzzy strings, my guitar is finally doing it due to bridge wear or my right hand and I love it. Obviously you don't want it to fart out completely. Call me crazy, if you will, but it increases the sustain of the note and makes it sing.
    That Saturday night show at the Green Mill was one of the great nights of music of my life! David stayed with me after the show and we stayed up until 4 "ayem" reliving it. It was magic for the band, too. One of those special nights where band, music, and audience become one. If you were there, you know just what I mean.
    Yes same here! One of those nights I won't forget soon, never is more likely.
    The band found themselves in a special set of circumstances (many new tunes and Steph's sudden decision to only play original music going forward) which kept them on a knife's edge, and the audience really caught that edginess and willed the band on to a higher level.
    As I was leaving I stopped to say hi to Alfonso and he said they came up with a set 3 days ago!?
    I couldn't believe it but it somewhat explains that musical fire you could feel. Like I said I never saw Stephan live but he was obviously having so much fun!
    adrian wrote:
    Gonzalo was nice enough to let me borrow that Marin guitar for one night at Samois this year.

I did not sound anything like Gonzalo when I played it.

Adrian
    Ok ok, no more silly questions :wink: .
    But do say did it have very low action like he said:
    Tele295 wrote:
    I love Gonzalo's lines but that sitar twang bugs me. I was thinking maybe his Marin needed a fret job, but I guess it's intentional?
    first time I started listening to Gonzalo I felt the same but I came to like both his lines and sound and to me it just became his signature sound.
    Bob Holo wrote:
    The Wrembel Quartet's Wednesday night show at DFNW was pretty insane too. Just before the show, out back of the venue, Stephane looked at the guys and said: "OK, we just got in town - we're tired - but this is Djangofest and these are some of the most enthusiastic crowds there are - so let's pump up and play our own tunes - let's give them some love - let's be ourselves." (or something like that)

Ahh, I think what he really said is "we just got in town from some of the most enthusiastic crowds there are and we gave it all and we're tired...but this is Djangofest and...
    I had my people there so that's how I know...
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    I'm just listening to the album that totally opened my eyes on this subject:
    Selmer #607 invites Stochelo R.
    I was listening to it while doing some house chores and all of a sudden I hear that "twang" sound.
    It was Adrien Moingnard playing "Two for the road". I didn't even notice this before in his playing.
    But if you compare this tune to e.g. the one that Stochelo plays you can hear the difference in sound very easily and realize the point some of you were making how all of these guys sound like themselves no matter the instrument. And thank you for making that point although I should've been aware of it myself.
    And of course the whole album became that much more interesting to listen to in light of this subject.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Caught Gonzalo in Newberg, Oregon, last night and snapped a photo of his guitar :roll:
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Hey,

I wish I could have caught him in Newberg, I'm going to see him up in Ridgefield on Thursday. I guess he's playing in Cascade Locks too. Weird venues, but cool.