DjangoBooks.com

Does Joscho

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 421
Does Joscho stick to this technique pretty closely? I'm just incredulous at his speed. I transcribed some of his solos and watched his fingerings and he does descending arpeggios straight across the neck. Does anyone possibly have insight?

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9732

If you look at measures 5-6 this is a particular lick I find particularly difficult when played straight across the neck. You can confirm it with the video, he does play it straight across.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    he has a hybrid technique where he uses sweep or alternate picking for super fast complex lines
  • lacrossehotclublacrossehotclub La Crosse WI✭✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    Insane right hard starting at 3:26...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99R7VW9QqyY&feature=related
    That is just indecent!!!
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Insane right hard starting at 3:26...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99R7VW9Q ... re=related
    Best right hand in the business as far as i'm concerned.
    Then again he has the worst rhythm player in the business as far as i'm concerned too, sorry old man Stephan
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Then again he has the worst rhythm player in the business as far as i'm concerned too, sorry old man Stephan

Bah, come on man. You're better than this. :roll:
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    redblues wrote:

Joscho's rhythm player (his dad, right?) plays with his thumb and fingers instead of a pick. It's definitely a non-traditional sound.

As for Joscho's right hand, we got to see it up close when he was at Django in June last year. He uses a really thin pick and lots of sweep picking (both forward *and* backward) when appropriate.

Adrian
  • EmmettRayEmmettRay Honolulu, Hawaii✭✭✭✭ Koa Iseman, AJL XO-503, Holo Busato
    I got to jam with Joscho alot last year with Adrian at DIJ, not only is he a great player but a great guy as well. As much fun to hang with as he is to watch...

He uses a big city wegen pick like Stochelo and Angelo to get that precise picking attack. He gets his great live sound by using a big tone pickup in his guitar... I wouldn't say he has the BEST right hand out there since he doesn't have ton of volume when playing unamplified but he is def a solid player and the reason why I play this style! I have some great jams from last year of him that I've yet to upload to youtube...
    Turns out I can actually hit his speed with my tremolo (for shorter periods), but the consistency, eveness, and measured perfection aren't there so it doesn't give the same effect. I think it is the good technique not the speed alone that makes it so striking. It is the same with classical/flamenco tremolo so it makes sense. The fastest tremolo in the world doesn't mean a thing if every note isn't perfect dynamically and rhythmically.