DjangoBooks.com

Help me find a song...

MusetteMusette New
edited November 2011 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 96
I came across this version of It Had To Be You,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDqp1JV5lU&feature=related

and they claim it's Django, but it obviously isn't.
The phrasing, ideas, etc, it's just not him, nor Stephane.
It is good but it doesn't sound like Django or Stephane to me.

Does anyone know who plays here?

Thanks.

Comments

• Apart from the playing which you I believe are absolutely correct it wasn't DR nor SG.

The recording sounds newish to me. Something not quite right about the guitar sound and the violin for beinga remastered old and scratchy (I wonder if that is imported background noise :shock: )

Whoever plays the violin at least has decent intonation.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Whoever plays the violin at least has decent intonation.
    And that's about all.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    You can message the guy for the full versions of the tunes.

There's two more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD8Oyaxgo2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_GBBYL7n0g

They're part of the "Bioshock" Video game soundtrack. It's credited to Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli. They could be authentic recordings of "imitators" (such as the Swedish Hot Club Quintet formed in 1938 after Django's Concert(s) in Sweden).

My guess is that the people responsible for the music in the game found some old records that were credited to Django & Stéphane, as such they're also credited to them in the official Bioshock Soundtrack. They're probably just bootleg recordings by a third-party. Fun to think that the people who made these recordings made money off this, and people bought them thinking they were actually by Django and Stéph. Then they somehow made their way to the Bioshock soundtrack.

To quote "Fencethis" in the comments section of "Jitterbug Waltz":
    it didn´t take 5 secs of listening to this to clarify for absolutely sure that this is NOT Django Reinhardt.Try and focus f ex on the "rock-bluesy" way of chopping up the chords at 0:43 and again at about 1:30 and 2:40 and the semifunky patterns following after which all points to an electric guitaristic style developed in the 60´s and 70´s.I find it ridiculous to stir up that much of a fuzz about something so obvious.Chances are that this musician is born around 1965.Violin is neither grappelli
  • MusetteMusette New
    Yeah I think the violinist is actually musically better than the guitarist, but both sound kinda "modern", they have that "American jazz sound",
    and they aren't near as good as Django or Stephane.
    But I think it's funny that the people who made such a big video game like Bioshock made that mistake when crediting that version to Django Reinhardt.