DjangoBooks.com

Where Did WE Go Wrong

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Does Bria Skonberg count? I saw her play trumpet at Djangofest NW last year
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Bria Counts bigtime in my book.

She played with Bucky in 2010 if I recall correctly.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    If you like some hot female rhythm guitar playing, take a look at Rita Bauer. I wonder how that old fart Alfons Bauer got this wife. Hm, I should have learned to play the zither instead of the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_J9Okw1jLg

Best,

Barengero
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Hey everyone,

Bria is definitely excellent and counts for sure. Another awesome group is the Red Skunk Band (formerly the RedSkunk Jipzee Swing Band). They don't have any female horn players but there is a female guitarist/vocalist (Molly Reeves) and female violinist (Pam Sheffler). Justin Au plays the trumpet and they occasionally have a tube rather than a double bass. They sound like a cross between New Orleans Trad and Gypsy Jazz.

This is a link to their site: http://redskunkband.com/

And one of their music videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88MCkC5 ... Ag&index=7

Cheers!

AmmonB
  • Welcome aboard.

Does your nom de plume mean you play sax? I recall this maybe from sotw but at my age relying on memory is like holding water in a seive....only works for short perods :mrgreen:

Hah, I followed your sig links...So my question is now .....are ya gonna play some GJ on sax?
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    How about young women bass players?

There used to be a few great old-school jazz clubs in Portland which have unfortunately been bought & "gentrified" into trendy silliness...

From time to time I'd see this young girl playing bass in one of these old jazz clubs with a group of what I imagine were retired big-band jazz musicians. She was this phenomenally good knobby-kneed little girl bangin' on this bass with her glasses slipping down her nose...

Years later I'm watching some late-night show and the host says: "Our next guest is a young bass player who won a grammy for best new jazz artist - Esperanza Spalding." (...blank stare... blink blink blink... what?) Sure enough, out she comes - all grown up & even more phenomenal.

Her stuff is a little "out there", so if you're a traditionalist... you've been warned.

If we can extend beyond jazz, one of my favorite Rock bassists is a young Aussie named Tal Wilkenfeld... This vid isn't Jazz or Gypsy, but it is a "two on a guitar" trick, which is classic gypsy busker stuff so I'm sneaking it in ;-)

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Here in St. Louis we've got Chloe Feoranzo on clarinet. She's 20, and currently touring with Pokey Lafarge. If you saw Pokey on David Letterman last month, you saw Chloe. She has played with the aforementioned Red Skunk band, as well as Janet Klein, and my band Wack-A-Doo. In fact she's featured on two manouche tracks on our new CD: Joseph, Joseph, and Bubamara. She's quite a player, and we're thrilled to be able to work with her. Attached below is "Joseph."
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    more Chloe Feoranzo: she's fantastic !