DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Retreat in Canada

Hungario1967Hungario1967 Around Edmonton, AB.New Godin archtops.

Hi. I'm a brand new forum member. I've been playing a long time, but getting into GJ very seriously.

Does anyone know of Gypsy Jazz retreats within Canada? I don't mind going to the U.S., but the cost might be lower to keep it within my borders ( yes, I'm Canadian).

Thanks.

Comments

Don't know of any in Canada but I know several Canadians that come to Django in June.

Welcome to the forum!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet

I don't know of any that are specifically GJ, but there are a few jazz/swing camps. There are often a number of GJ aficionados at the BC Swing Camp at Sorrento, BC. This year it is August 9-15. Registration usually opens in March sometime. I've been there a few times and I'm planning to be there this summer with a few of my GJ pals. It's hard to top Django in June of course.

What part of Canada are you in?

http://www.bcswingcamp.ca/index.htm

Kevin

Kevin
  • Hungario1967Hungario1967 Around Edmonton, AB.New Godin archtops.

Thanks for the welcome(s)! I'm in Edmonton, AB. I'll have to check out these options, thanks!

• GojdanGojdan New
    edited August 2023 Posts: 19

@Hungario1967 check out this 2021 Django/Swing Camp AB – North of Red Deer: 13-15 Aug:

https://albertaswingcamp.ca/

2021 Django/Swing Camp AB – North of Blackfalds, Alberta: 13-15 Aug

At Watipi Campground north of Blackfalds, Alberta. August 13-15. Swing/Django djam all weekend long. Maybe some workshops, band scramble, etc. It’s about half way between Edmonton and Calgary so it’s convenient for all!

Event description

Hey fans and players of swing music and Django Reinhardt! Join us for a weekend of camping and jamming August 13-15, 2021 in central Alberta. The focus is acoustic swing music including swing tunes from the great American songbook, Western swing and the music of Django Reinhardt and the Quintet of the Hot Club of France. Acoustic guitars, bass, violins, violas, clarinets, mandolins, singers, etc. are all welcome. All playing levels are welcome. There will be some experienced players there but newer players are encouraged to come and learn. If necessary we can split into separate jams for different playing levels. Possible workshops if people are interested.

cavemusicAzazzell
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Welcome to the forum!

Musicians come from all over the world to attend “Django in June” in Northampton, Massachusetts.

Trust me when I say that it is worth the trip!

Hope they are back in business next year!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet

Hi all. I'm organizing the above event. It's about half way between Edmonton and Calgary. Contact me if you have any questions.

Kevin

BucoAzazzell
    Kevin
  • AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited June 2023 Posts: 174

Yay, looks like the Django Camp Alberta is happening again in 2022: https://albertaswingcamp.ca/2022/04/16/2022-django-swing-camp-alberta-second-annual/

edited June 2023 Posts: 174

Gypsy Jazz Alberta Swing Camp 2023, 7-9 July between Calgary and Edmonton, Canada : https://albertaswingcamp.ca/2023/06/03/alberta-swing-camp-update/

Buco

Hey Alberta Django Jazz jammers. The fourth edition of Alberta Swing Camp is in the works for July 5-7, 2024. Keep an eye on https://www.albertaswingcamp.ca/ for updates and tell all your djam friends to come.

cavemusicstrombolimusik

Thanks for posting that, Azazzell. This camp is in its fourth year and the attendance has been getting bigger. But not too big!

Most of the information you need is on the website

If you have any questions please give me a shout.

Kevin

strombolimusikAzazzell
    Kevin