DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz jam sessions in New Orleans?

edited February 2020 in Welcome Posts: 2

Hey everyone,

I'll be visiting NOLA for Mardi Gras next week and was wondering if there are any venues and bars with any Gypsy Jazz jam sessions open to the public.

Thanks!

Comments

• @Chiefbigeasy might know.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

There used to be one near Frenchman St. on a regular basis, and Tony Green had one years ago at a coffeehouse when he still lived here. After those died, Russell Welch put together one for a couple of months in the Bywater neighborhood, but that also fizzled out. I have a monthly gig myself with my quartet at the Neutral Ground coffeehouse where we play a couple of tight sets. I'm thinking of mutating the 2nd set into a jam. I'm a little reluctant because of don't have the catalog of some of those aforementioned long-time players, and it's no small feat to organize and moderate a jam.

I always let it be known, however, that anyone who comes to town is welcome to contact me for a little informal jamming.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Another thing . . .

There are a number of GJ style players in town who play in multiple style groups. Check out the Frenchmen Street clubs any night and see for yourself.

• Yeah I was gonna say that my experience in New Orleans is that if you spend a while going to shows and introducing yourself, you’re bound to get invited to a house jam somewhere.

• tyolintyolin PortlandNew A violin

Following this thread for April 2022. 👀 !

tnhughes