DjangoBooks.com

Schertler PRE AII question

Since a new amp system is unaffordable for me right now, I've been considering the Schertler pre-amp as a way to dial in the tone I'd like to have on whatever system I might be using. I'm using a DYN-G now, and I can get the sound I like with a bit of tweaking, but I think it might be "more better" to have a pre that works well for EQ and run into an amp (or PA) set basically flat.

Is the PRE-AII the way to go, and will it do what I'd like it to do?

Thanks,
Tony

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Tony,

Since I use the Unico amp I don't have tons of experience using the pre-amp. I think the biggest advantage you'll get is feedback control. The Reson knob on the preamp dials out a problematic frequency so you can crank it louder before feedback.

-Michael
  • TielesTieles MissouraNew
    Thanks for the response, Michael; I appreciate your experience and insight as well as your dedication.

I get the impression the PRE-A II acts as a basic pre-amp, with the reson control providing a cut of specified width (Q) at 180Hz. This would imply that about any pre-amp (or simple parametric EQ) would provide about the same result.

Still, one wonders: sometimes, when you plug into a little box, it may make the sound better (or worse) regardless of the specs. I don't have access to these devices -- there are few GJ players in this area that I've found -- so I have to make decisions based on what I read. The true test would be for me to just plug into one and play -- but I don't foresee that opportunity arising soon.

If anyone has a PRE-A II and would care to share some insights, I'd be mighty grateful.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Tieles wrote:
    I get the impression the PRE-A II acts as a basic pre-amp, with the reson control providing a cut of specified width (Q) at 180Hz. This would imply that about any pre-amp (or simple parametric EQ) would provide about the same result.

I don't know all the technical data on the Reson control, but I'm pretty sure it's more then just a simple 180hz cut. I was aware of this problem frequency for years and used a regular eq. It helped, but the Reson control is much, much more effective.

I think it's fare to say that most pre-amps were designed with the idea that a peizo pu was going to be plugged into it. The Schertler is a completely different technology so my guess is that the sonic characteristics of your average pre amp won't do much for the Schertler. However, I've never done any kind of testing so I can't say for sure.

-Michael