DjangoBooks.com

Kala U-Bass

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
in Bass Posts: 705

Is anybody using the Kala U-Bass for a GJ band or jamming? They supposedly have a nice acoustic bass sound and are certainly reasonably priced. I have a nice Mexican/American Fender P-Bass, but nobody ever uses them in GJ. The only time I've heard one in a professional setting was the fantastic Dutch bass player, Adinda Meertins playing a Kala U-bass Koa 5 string fretless with Monsieur Perine, and it sounded very nice, super low on the B string. Here is a link for Adinda and Kala: https://kalabrand.com/pages/ubass-artist-adinda-meertins

I may be in the market if somebody has an acoustic-electric, preferably fretless, for sale.

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Yes in my opinion, I have a solid body version and it sounds like an upright bass, just amazing and so much easier to carry around, especially if you’re traveling. I know a lot of jazz guys that gig with them.

Dario Napoli and his bass players don't seem to bother with an upright, most of the time they use electric and I I've seen P-bass in there too. Sounds great.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I have a U-bass and use it to record all sorts of stuff. It sounds great. I play it on backing tracks just to practice, but I use it to record soul music. It has that Jamerson sound...even thought I have a vintage P bass, I like using the U-bass.

jonpowlBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I agree with Buco on others using a P-bass. I saw Santino Demeter play on the main stage of Samois and also at Liberchies using an electric bass. You can see it on the album cover linked below. Electric bass is certainly under-represented in the style but I wouldn't let it hold you back. If you like the sound of the U-bass too, go for it. I think people will appreciate the playing quality more than where it is coming from.

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/demeter_jazz

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Here's a guy using a Kala U-Bass while playing on stage with Frank Vignola and Vinny Raniolo.

It sounds pretty good to me!

BucobillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Next question: Fretted or fretless?

Haha that was fun, nice find @geese_com

geese_combillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I bought a Kala U-Bass a few weeks ago and it is a fun little instrument. I bought a Journeyman F hole in red, which happens to be marked down about $90 as it is discontinued. It sounds OK acoustically, but not very loud. Amplified it sounds pretty nice for a $250 instrument. I bought it direct from Kalabrands.com which is in nearby Petaluma, CA and received it the next day. Honestly, at $250 it seems like a good deal, at $329+, not so good.