DjangoBooks.com

FS - rare 1920's French Guitar Banjo

Similar to Django's Guitar banjo, this rare instrument was made in France sometime during the roaring 20's and was played by the Célestin's Jazz. Set up with a calf skin head, it is in excellent condition with a straight neck. It plays easily and with a powerful sound.

Available for a closer look and pick up in NYC. Shipping at buyer's expense. $2000 or best offer.

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 2020 Posts: 1,854

Calfskin head but still plays well?

Wow, I can tell you as a plectrum banjo player that that’s kind of rare as they are very vulnerable to changes in humidity... that’s why most of us banjo plunkers use plastic ones nowadays.

Sounds like a good’un... good luck!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • schanschan ✭✭✭

Surprisingly enough, the head remains taut. (It's not the original, but it's an excellent quality calfskin.) If you know anyone interested in plunking a 6-string banjo, let me know, please.

• schanschan ✭✭✭

Here is a picture of a street band including guitar-banjo, two accordions, violin, drums and a singer in Paris c. 1930.

mac63000billyshakeswim
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Love that photo

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

love the photo too, love the drummer and her minimalist cymbal stands ;-)

• schanschan ✭✭✭

would be very interesting to visit Paris in the late 1920's

• schanschan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Posts: 30

I have decided to include this cool frame with period pictures of the Célestin's Jazz. It was put together by the original owner of the instrument to illustrate year 1927....Django was 17, just married, and roaming the streets of Paris. He was a year away from his first recordings playing a similar banjo-guitar with accordionists Maurice Alexander, Jean Vaissade and Victor Marceau....

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

I would buy it, but the last few stems on the right hand side of the framed picture, are on the wrong side of the note heads. That's a deal breaker for me. :P

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristwim
  • schanschan ✭✭✭

For all concerns and complaints about the Célestin's Jazz, please contact M. Vichy, chef d'orchestre. Thank you!

billyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
  • schanschan ✭✭✭

Sold.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams