DjangoBooks.com

Can you identify this song? (solved: Crazy Rhythm)

djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
edited April 2020 in Repertoire Posts: 1,018

This is an MP3 of me busking back in 2003 or 2004. It has been so long that I don't remember the name of the song.

Can anyone identify it?

richter4208

Comments

Crazy Rhythm.

wimmac63000BillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Quick response Buco - I couldn't name it myself.

Turns out it's a show tune from 1928 written by Joseph Meyer and Roger Wolfe Kahn.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Interesting thing about this song is there is really no prominent Django....unless you count him shouting at Coleman Hawkins to take another solo.

This song title always comes up as a possible band name.

• edited April 2020 Posts: 4,730

Yeah Django recorded this one as part of the All Star Sessions compilation (was it named as such at the time of recording or when it was compiled as the somewhat recent release I don't know...), it also shows up on Djangology compilation issued by EMI. I personally mostly know it from Lollo Meier, Rosas album. The cool thing about these allstars sessions is that it's the rare (maybe only?) opportunity to hear Django as sideman playing swing standards of the day.

Django takes solos here and there but it's nice to hear his genius when it comes to creating dynamics while accompanying and propelling songs while others are soloing. It's mostly the American musicians that are stars here, along with with Django and Stephane. I heard once that Coleman Hawkins, one of the Americans on the album, was the only musician ever that could intimidate Django, I once read somewhere.

mac63000
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

Thanks guys. Of course! It has been so long. I need to relearn this one.