DjangoBooks.com

Used D500 @ $800 - worth it?

I'm afraid this is, for now, the option. I've some Musician's Friend credit from long ago and that's about it, for now. I'd hoped to hold out for an Altamira Md30 from Michael but don't have any liquidity for now to do it and wanted to get going - been trading with my son on his dreadnought (sorry, Michael - when I trade up!).

Rhythm only, is my likely intention. Muscle memory and memory for voicings, etc., feels gone completely and with some issue making play difficult, it wouldn't be the worst to have a short scale with some forgiveness.

Thoughts on a used D500 @ $800, with a couple minor blemishes?

My best friend is a highly skilled luthier (symphonic instruments for the Chicago Symphony orchestra, restoration of a shipwrecked viola de gamba from, I think, 16th century!), and he's willing to set it up. Recommendations on a bridge, anything else, if going with that?

Finally, comparing the Altamira Model MD, with the D500. With the MD at $700 and the D500 at $800. Thanks.

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I had a D500, Currently own a Mod M. To be honest there’s no comparison. Mod M is better in every way. Just one man’s viewpoint mind you

Passacaglia
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Posts: 1,471

Yep, that confirms Michael's really generous help. I'd love an Altamira and maybe I just need to wait. Just wondered if that's a deal (well, deal worth biting on) for the D500.

Aside from the fact I'd vastly prefer to buy from Michael.

Thanks much.

-Paul

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

No, that is not a deal worth biting on.

Passacaglia

Great. Thanks Wim. Looks like holding out for an Altamira and my boy's dreadnought till then it is.

-Paul

• TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5

I used to have a D500. It had a very wide neck and a wet, ringy tone. It sounded nice for fingerstyle guitar, but wouldn't cut through the mix in a jam with other selmacs.

I have a cigano now which has a rougher, barky tone that while not as sweet sounding, projects much better and has a thinner neck, which I prefer (I also have a Park Montmartre which is amazing).

My advice would be to hold out for an Altamira or an Eastman (or even a cigano) over the D500.

PassacagliaJHAnchors

Like others said not something I'd spend the money on. Brand new Altamira Model M sounds way better, Michael still offering a free setup.

Couple of good deals on music go round. One for $410 shipped, D hole looks like 14 frets to the body:

Unbranded but nice looks. Looks ok at the heel joint and the headstock joint which to me are the biggest giveaways to spot the cheapest of the cheap copies. With this one I see what I expect to see.

Then there's a Gitane DG255, $510 shipped, looks in decent shape. Strap buttons installed, that's probably what drove the price down ?

Something like this you could probably sell later and break even when you're ready to move on.

Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for your help. I'm going to be getting an Altamira MD from Michael in a day or two. Much appreciated!

vanmalmsteengeese_comJSantaBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitzTDogbillyshakesmac63000
    -Paul

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Sweet!

i’m really curious about the D version. If it’s anywhere near as good as my Mod M then I’m going to have to sell off a couple of electric guitars. Let us know what you think when you get it!

Passacaglia

I will. ETA this Tuesday! Starting back with Denis's Nous'che series, and Michael's book. Muscle memory is coming back, muscle...uh, muscle sucks. Paws are wimps, about 20 min. max at this point, lol.

MichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliamsmac63000
    -Paul

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Paul,

I've recently been having pains in my hands...I had some "putty" that I got from my PT for a previous thumb injury. It is made of some sort of oil base but it is like a silly putty texture that, if you left it sit on a table, would start to fall and then slowly ooze following gravity. Probably can't get to your doc for similar but I've recently started to squeeze it while I'm on long calls or zoom meetings. I can feel the strength growing in both hands and forearms. I'm sure there is a commercial product that is similar...you might try it for when you aren't at the guitar. In fact, here's a link to I think the same product from Amazon.

I've got the green which is medium strength. Easy enough to grip and use. You can squeeze between fingers or create a ring to work on finger spreading. It is not sticky, doesn't smell, doesn't leave any residue on your fingers. Lots of exercises to help...the link above even talks about repetitive use injuries and guitar players....must have seen me coming! Cheap too!

Passacaglia