DjangoBooks.com

Guitar on a Stand and a Dog, Good or Bad?

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Thursday night I was falling asleep on the couch so I moved my Cigano GJ-10, which is a fine example of their work, a little further away from the end of the couch so I wouldn't kick it if I fell asleep. It is a tight spot with another guitar stand, currently vacant, a few inches away. Normally, there is room for my 22 lb. Border Terrier to pass between the two stands without incident. The next morning as I was tuning in some GJ on my computer, I heard a raucous noise, just a couple of feet from me, noticed my Cigano had been upended, and my dog was scooting nervously away. The guitar was lying on it's side on the carpeted floor, resting against the other guitar stand. Of course the first thought is "broken neck". But on further examination, the neck was intact, and I couldn't find a single scratch. Thankfully, due to the carpeted floor, the second stand and perhaps an older, slower dog that helped to slow the guitar down and cushion the fall, all is well and I'm not in the market for neck repair or a new second guitar. Quite lucky indeed!

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesMichaelHorowitzmac63000Passacaglia

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Good Doggy!

BTW watched "The Art of Racing in the Rain" last night, good dog movie is you have not seen it.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited May 2020 Posts: 337

My Mod M is pretty darn light weight, which makes leaving it on the stand unattended somewhat sketchy. It took a hard fall from the slightest bump the other day I thought I heard the neck crack but fortunately what it was was the tuning key hitting the ground first which saved it I believe because it bent the tuning key, but I’m certain that it lessen the impact on the headstock. It’s so light that my cat can easily take it out when On the stand so now I just hang it unless I’m nearby.

• BonesBones Moderator

Hey Van, be sure to check the headstock closely to be sure it didn't crack when the tuner hit the ground.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

yeah huh?! It sounded bad and stone floor. I don’t remember it being a scarf joint? But that tilt....ugh

yeah I’ll have a look for sure.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

We have a 13 year old 68lb Golden Retriever (and yes, I admit it, his name is Django) who likes to come visit me in the music room/library where there are always at least ten guitars on stands. He found a long time ago if he barks facing, and close to, a guitar he can get it to sing back to him; maybe it would be more musical if I left one tuned to an open chord but he doesn't seem to mind EADGBE anyway.

He has never showed any inclination to knock any over but I have always used those stands with the rubber retaining strap that holds the neck in place. I do not remember the brand or even where I got them but I would think they are still easily available.

vanmalmsteenmac63000
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

In my case it was 99% my fault, as I had moved the stand, thus closing his gap for transit. Perhaps my dog, like me, thinks he is skinnier than he really is. Normally, all guitars go in cases at night. I did recently purchase a Kala U-bass which has been staying out a lot, lately. In fact, it would have been on the second stand. Here are a couple of pics of the scene of the crime and the culprit plus a bonus pic of my Kala U-Bass. I guess I need to get out more...

Passacaglia
  • BonesBones Moderator

Van, that kind of a fall can crack the headstock between the holes that the tuner posts go thru.

vanmalmsteen
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Does anyone else find it ironic that @jonpowl has his Gig Book open to a page with a guitar leaning against a chair? Danger, Will Robinson! (unless that was very artfully posed, in which case, well done!)

jonpowlwimBillDaCostaWilliamsmac63000
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

@billyshakes Funny, I did notice the Gig Book, but hadn't noticed the guitar leaning on the chair. I've given the guitar several examinations, and only came up with a "scuffed" area on the edge of the back. It still plays beautifully and stays in tune well for a 2008.

billyshakes