DjangoBooks.com

Differences between Gaffiero's and Shopis's?

Hi all,

First, let me say I love both of these master luthier's guitars, to the extent I've played them. Cyril's, only once, years ago at the Chicago GJ fest. Fantastic guy and hope to meet up with him sometime in the Land of Brie.

Many here may know I owned one of Rodrigo's guitars which was the most beautiful instrument in every way I've ever played. Still bummed I sold it, but I thought I was done for good.

I have decent experience then playing the Shopis, and almost no experience with one of Cyril's makes.

Just asking for some general characteristics as to tone, given I'm almost certainly never going to play much lead, if at all. Rhythm rhythm rhythm.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
Tagged:

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    edited May 2020 Posts: 261

I have not played either builds, but did talk to a player I respect a huge amount has glowing things to say about Cyril's guitars.

That being said, you know you loved your old Shopis, is there any chance you could buy it back?

Passacaglia
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

If you haven't already done so, check out Denis' DC Music School Free Course "Gypsy Jazz Rhythm with Benji Winterstein", he's playing a Gaffiero Petite Bouche that could give you insight to the tone. If you don't have an account it's easy to sign up and add the course to your library.

Passacaglia
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Ha! That's funny Craig, because I thought so and asked Denis. Yep, he confirmed it was one of Cyril's. I use that set daily, as I think Benji's rhythm is a beautiful thing and I'll spend some of my time just playing along with him.

It sounds fantastic. Problem I am having is, well, Benji Winterstein. I believe he could make an old wallet sound incredible.

CraigHensley
    -Paul

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

Indeed he could!

Have you searched your old emails and emailed the person you sold your Shopis to? Doesn't hurt to ask if they'd sell it back.

Passacaglia

Oh, thanks Craig but it was to a friend of a guy from the jam group I started, out in San Francisco, and I don't even have either's contact stuff anymore.

I'm very happy to buy another Rodrigo! Just want to make sure this time I'm in for the long haul, come what may. I'm much worse now than I was those years ago, but my attitude and acceptance have also changed a ton. So, yes, very much considering a Shopis but Cyril and his guitars are also in my mind.

(OK. Mazaud. did he really have to make this poster? It's been up in our bathroom ever since it came out. So...um...anyone...how does it play?)

CraigHensley
    -Paul

I know a guy who has/had Holo, Barault and Mazaud. He kept Mazaud and sold the others. I know you will not resist picking up the phone and calling Rodrigo. But hey discussions are fun!

PassacagliaMehran s
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Buco
    -Paul

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia

I'm on my third Shopis guitar. Sold the other two when I got a chance to buy a fantastic Favino that Rodrigo had set up. I eventually regretted the decision - The Favino was one of the two best I've ever played (the other one belonged to Michael Bauer), but I missed the Shopis guitars, and it didn't make a lot of sense to have that much money tied up in one guitar. I eventually sold the Favino and commissioned another from Rodrigo, which I still have and love.

Here is Yorgui Loeffler playing one of the ones I sold. You'll see why I regretted selling it.

https://youtu.be/qVHAR3MC940

PassacagliaWillie
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • scotscot Virtuoso

The Mazaud Vieux Paris that I played a couple of years ago was the single best Selmer style guitar I ever had my hands on. I would have traded my Favino for it in an instant. It had no weaknesses in it's sound, fit and finish were flawless, it was easy to play and was beautiful to look at.

Passacaglia

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone. My connection to the guitar I originally bought from Rodrigo was visceral and Buco's probably pegged me, I'll be asking him for another one once my hands tell me I've earned it. But I'm pretty heartened to see Cyril's reputation has grown as it has (having been away for years, I had no idea), and yes, it's true, that Mazaud ad has always made me drool. I do recall someone, I think, from DiJ having one and it being reported by a number of people how much they loved it. (Memory might be wrong, but I do seem to recall that).

Buco
    -Paul