DjangoBooks.com

DFNW 2020 Still On?

pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
edited June 2020 in North America Posts: 140

Anybody know current status of DFNW 2020? Seems like a lot of folks need to be finalizing travel plans, getting VISAs, etc. about now and the organizers will need adequate lead time to get everything properly organized. From the website, looks like it is still on: tickets are for sale, performers are listed, etc.

However large group gatherings are still banned and it is hard to imagine how anything similar to the past events can take place as soon as September.

Per Washington reopening guidelines, the area will need to be in Phase IV for a normal event like this. Several counties have applied for Phase III which allows up to 50 people gatherings - but none have yet applied for Phase IV. Most touring entertainers worldwide have cancelled appearances until 2021.

I also wonder about how the locals feel about a large number of attendees and performers from all over the world coming to town and possibly raising the risk of health problems.

I have accommodations and travel reservations set and still plan to attend if it happens.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
wimScoredog

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Depends on the phase of reopening that the county is in:

I personally don't see gatherings of 50+ people being allowed in September, but more and more counties are applying to open further so we'll see...

edited June 2020 Posts: 248

I should also say, as a local, the thought of large gatherings of people from all over the world coming to a small island community does worry me...

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

The biggest obstacle would be getting the visas, they usually need to apply roughly half a year or more in advance or else pay an extra 1000$ for fast track visa application. Even then, it doesn't guarantee that the artist gets the visa.

Alas, the USA has one of the most complicated and expensive systems for applying for temporary work visas as musician.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

I'd say there is at least one other huge obstacle beyond visas. If you've been to DFNW you know that the audiences for the concerts are about 80% 65 plus age group. (my very unscientific calculations). It might actually be higher than that. I just can't see these folks gathering in a hot stuffy gym on the tail end of a pandemic. I hope I'm wrong, I really don't think I am tho. It will be fine for people like me that are within a days drive of the venue and have nothing to lose, but I can't really see buying plane tickets and tickets in advance to this years lineup.

With all that said it would be nice if the festival still happens on some level. If ticket sales are weak maybe they could hold the shows in the small theater. Might still be some fun to be had

Scoredog

Another option, that I think more people are warming up to in general, would be to record the performances and share the content virtually to ticket holders and donors. That way artists still get support and people still get to enjoy the shows. Unfortunately Covid isn't going away anytime soon...

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

I agree with @richter4208 that it seems like a stretch to fill that gymnasium. If Djangofest 2020 does happen, I hope they downsize a bit, like the old days, just shows in WICA, and clean the auditorium between shows. Would be nice even to have an outdoor seated show, to reduce the re-breathing, but as we know, weather is 50% chance of not being nice.

I need to check with friends first, but even if some shows didn't happen, I would still like to go and hang out at the festival.

I am hopeful.

richter4208
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

I believe international travel is still banned into the US, and no one seems to know when that will change...

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020 Posts: 867

Maybe they can make it American based this yr....just a thought.

I know it will be interesting to start playing concerts again and have a room of masked people, which is my guess is what happens for a while.

Yeah even if it’s allowed, I think we have to ask if it’s responsible. I live in Seattle so I know a lot of locals on that island personally, so I have personal concerns for the people I know. Even people who choose not to attend.

Scoredogmac63000djangologyBones
    edited June 2020 Posts: 248

@King_Cardboard maybe one day when it is responsible we can jam, I'm just down the highway Tacoma and often up in seattle where I used to live.

It's funny with such a big event as DFNW, there isn't a huge gypsy jazz scene here...