DjangoBooks.com

New Bireli/Moignard/Brunard concert posted today

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
in Welcome Posts: 543

This just in: a 30-minute concert posted online for free.

Adrian

BucoJosechikybillyshakesScoredogvanmalmsteenrudolfochristMichaelHorowitzbopstermac63000Petrovand 4 others.

Comments

Damn talk about the power trio.

Thanks for heads up man!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Also posting a link to this concert should be an automatic thread closer every time a question "can I play GJ on x guitar" is asked.

juanderervanmalmsteenJosechiky
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

Damn

• edited June 2020 Posts: 4,730

You know for a guy that prior to migrating to GJ could barely touch a guitar if it wasn't plugged into a tube amp with ear bleeding amount of distortion and volume, I know next to nothing about djent. And don't take my statement at face value, it's fun to shot shit about these things and nobody knows that better than me.

But man that attendee-less concert is one of the best produced live shows on YouTube. The sound mix is just perfect, the camera work is film production quality and the venue interior is phenomenal.

mac63000
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,454

Thank you! With Adrien Moignard + William Brunard?! Superstar trio

I leave you with How To Be DJENT!

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator

Wow, thanks!!!

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso

Thanks! Excellent as they both have the same approach of Jazz. Brilliant!

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Good point and I for one do not disagree but there are some, I suspect, who would.

For the purists, real GJ must be played on the correct type of guitar with only upright bass or violin along for the ride and preferably acoustically - think pre-WW2 Django and the HCQ.

Clarinet MIGHT be accepted at a stretch.

Once Django went electric, went to tour with Ellington, heard bebop and found a Stimer all of these influences took him away from the original sound but as it was Django it was still tolerated within the genre.

A lot of his post-war music had less obvious 'gypsy' and more 'jazz' and many modern players, Bireli certainly, have taken that influence further, but I bet for some this barely fits their fixed idea of what is Gypsy Jazz.

So, we are back to the two choices, stick with Selmacs only for those who like their GJ in the traditional style, and anything goes for the new generation, Adrien, Antoine, Bireli, Les Doigts etc. I'm ok with both.

BonesBucoJojo
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I'm ok with both.

This.

Bones