DjangoBooks.com

Paname from Caloe's Living Room

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
in Repertoire Posts: 705

I'm fascinated by this song from Caloe's living room featuring guitarists Guillaume Juhel (Zaz) and Nicolas Blampain. I can't seem to find another version anywhere. Paname is a nickname given in the beginning of the twentieth century to Parisians who had adopted a hat called "panama", made popular by workmen who dug the canal of the same name in the beginning of the twentieth century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JmWKxILvG8

Buco

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited July 2020 Posts: 631

Charming rendition.

Jon Delaneys album named after the song?

https://jondelaney.bandcamp.com/album/paname

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Thanks, Bill. Yes, the same name and great playing by Jon, but didn't see a version of the song of the same name. I did find a very nice podcast in which episode one is called Paname and features a snippet of the song Paname.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Paname is just a slang word for Paris.

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited July 2020 Posts: 393

Yes, and that podcast gives an explanation for the nickname "Paname" for Paris (on the page "About"):

"Paname became a popular word to describe Paris, according to historian Claude Dubois, following the Panama Canal scandal - a disastrous, and financial ruinous attempt to build the panama canal that saw much money lost and Gustav Eiffel imprisoned. It replaced Pampeluche, Pantin or pantrouche."